Olympia Motoquest Adv jacket

couter

So one of the stipulations I had as part of getting a motorcycle was to upgrade away from my superior classic leather jacket(another antique time piece that I used regularly)
A few things I considered while buying was, like the FJ, I wanted versatility, and boy do the adv jackets provide that! After watching a million videos on revzilla, youtube, and the local motorcycle equipment stores(before cruizin posted the jacket sale thread) I found what I think will be the best for me. With the BI-polar nature of having mountains nearby that become very cold when it is regularly warm in the valley, I demanded warmth, rain, and protection. Landing on the Olympia Motoquest jacket, I liked its modular design that allows nearly 4 season riding, This thing is toasty in the 40 degree weather, keeps the water out well, and doesn't restrict movement or comfort. Best part, I wanna get into some long distance touring, it has a built in water res. Pricey, but damn am I pleased with it.
I figure since it is modular it is bulkier than specific purpose jackets.  
What are you guys riding in? I'm still finding new pockets and zippers and I bet theres many sides to being prepared for anything that I have overlooked since, I haven't gotten out there and done it, I'm hoping to soon!

• Premium Member
That looks like a nice jacket. I do not recall seeing that brand on sale in the UK but we have plenty of alternatives.

I miss the UK branches of the German company http://www.hein-gericke.de/ - the UK arm went bust. Just 2 shops are open now where the management did a deal with the German parent. Neither are near me as they are in Glasgow & Belfast.

I have their Cruise jacket which was the next one down from their top of the range Master. It is excellent for all season use. Zip out winter liner. Goretex membrane. Zipped vents for summer use. Armour in the elbows, shoulders & back that meets the CE protection standards. I like the jacket so much that I bought a secondhand one advertised on an Adventure bike forum. 

It does not seems that the German parent is making anything to that specification now - all of their jackets use a Shelltex waterproof membrane rather than Goretex which suggests a reduction in quality. 

MCN, a UK weekly newspaper for motorcycling, put the jacket in their top 10 in 2009 - link  - mine is a nice grey colour rather than hi-viz. If anyone sees one being sold secondhand I recommend snapping it up. 

I also have a Rukka 2 piece suit, again bought secondhand. A great brand but sell at a price I would not pay for a new one. Klim, Richa & Weisse are European brands to look at for new stuff. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have a Richa Rix-2 which I use on my commute and it is adequate for four seasons. Not the same league as some of the more expensive gear but it works well, has CE approved armour and is very good value for money.

I have Rev'it sand 2. It comes with rain liner and heat liner. Has bum pouch. Lots of vents for the summer. Crash tested. Now I have a hidden hole underneath the elbow folds. Did its job though. Pondering whether I should go Klim Misano set though...

This jacket is crazy awesome with all the adjustment zippers and straps, I had a tough time picking a jacket since I had a hard time telling what had what and all the extras, and little bells and what not. I ended up picking one that I thought looked good.

Mine is similar to the sand 2 as it is also a multi layer jacket with a warmth and rain layer. It has some giant zipered panels "mega vents" they call them for summer riding., but arent effective with either liner under the main outter part of the jacket. Johan, This has the removable CE certified shoulder, elbow, and back protector pieces also. I honestly don't know too much about how good they are or effective in the scenario of a crash, but they certainly do make me feel more "beefy". A friend (that is known for spouting without knowing what he is saying) was suggesting to replace them with "higher grade protectors" right away. Thoughts?

The Klim was on my list of considerations efjay, having the water pack built into the jacket was one of the things that really pulled me to this one, otherwise it would be in my bag with all my other stuff I take with me to work and what not, but its detatchable, so I can ditch it easily enough. One of those, I'd rather have it and not need it things...
Speaking of, This jacket does lack a pistol pouch for the Concealed Carry sort(I like guns too)

Part of what I really like on the Motoquest is the rain liner is high vis, while the main jacket is (as my girlfriend says) "Super-cool-and-trendy" Its the best fo both worlds, If I feel I need a high vis for whatever reason, I just layer that over. Which is really nice to be able to do.

I've seen alot of items with the goretex, is it really all its cracked up to be? the more of that stuff the better????

All the adv jackets in the 4 season cateogory really impressed me and choosing was hard. With the tall collars and multi layers, these seem like the best way to go for the serious riders that ride year round.

• Premium Member
Goretex is excellent and there is a price premium. As I mentioned above, the German firm Hein Gericke has moved away from using it. What you get with Goretex is a lifetime guarantee that they honour, much the same as Rukka. Of course, you can get 2 or 3 mid-price jackets for the cost of one Rukka. Other membranes like Shelltex and Hipora work but the garment is usually made to a lower degree of quality and may not have things like certified armour

CE armour will be good enough. CE is the European standard and they are usually matched with the German TUV standard. Unless is is a poor fit for you there is no reason to change it. The new armour is not going to get a higher safety rating, just a fancy brand name like Knox.

One thing to do with these 4 season jackets is to use a decent base layer of merino wool or man-made polyester like Adidas Climacool. These wick moisture from your skin to allow it to evaporate through the garment layers.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

-efjay
The rain jacket looks very similar to the ones I've seen that they sell separately, It does have extra room, I'm sure it could easily be worn over other jackets.
-cruizin
Thanks, and good pick! For an internet price, that seems to be the standard for this jacket. I've been watching it since last year hoping to find a deal. With tax I ended up spending the same as if I had bought it online, Maybe the added cost of gas to drive to the other end of the city, no biggie though. It was worth the time to go and try it on in person to make sure. I'm hoping to get the matching pants before it starts getting cold out again and try to head up to Idaho this fall and meet up with you guys for the "big" ride.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Tourmaster Transition, and Revit Tornado.  The Tourmaster is for the colder weather and the Revit is a mesh summer jacket that really lets you ride safely in the warmer months.  The Revit also has a water proof liner that I usually don't use but when it is a little cooler I do use it and it is a nice windbreaker.  The Tourmaster also includes a nice warm liner and it is excellent in the cold it is well worth having two jackets for the New England weather.  It was 80 to 90 degrees over a week ago and then recently dropped below 50 degrees two days in a row.  Hope this helps in deciding your choice.

Archived