Tried fitting denali lights to my UK Tracer 900 GT. It went wrong

andrew seymour

Hi All 

I added a 5 way relay to the wiring loom, however I accidently connect a live switched wire to my high beam switch wire. The main beam and low beam stopped working. I picked up a headlight used correct year, it doesnt work. My friend who hasa bike shop gave me another used light . Whole light including LED control unit . still nothing. All the fuses are good engine running. Is there a relay on theses lights . I have found one see pic is this correct does it run any part of the LED 

relay 2.jpg

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member

I do sincerely hope you've not fried the headlight driver circuit within your ECU!

There are several threads in here around the perils of not connecting any peripherals to the headlight circuit because it often ends badly (for the ECU).

Have a look at this thread as an example or simply search for "headlight control unit" for many responses.

Good luck and I hope it's something far less serious that you find.

7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I do sincerely hope you've not fried the headlight driver circuit within your ECU!

There are several threads in here around the perils of not connecting any peripherals to the headlight circuit because it often ends badly (for the ECU).

Have a look at this thread as an example or simply search for "headlight control unit" for many responses.

Good luck and I hope it's something far less serious that you find.

I have just tried a 2018 headlight and control unit and relay still nothing so it looks like I have cooked the ECU . So do I pay £250 to get someone to look at it and then have to pay £1100 for a fuel cap, ignition and ECU plus the programming of the ECU FML!!!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, andrew seymour said:

Been told because my bike is late 2018 they put new security on the bike so I need ECU , gas tank cap and ignition.  £1150 plus fitting plus mapping to the bike £2000 in total 

Assuming that it is the ECU (without any further testing/confirmation) there are a couple of ways to go given the experience of others in the past that have been in this pickle with the immobiliser functionality.

1.  Purchase a new compatible ECU with all of the necessary peripherals - expensive.

2.  Same as No1 but from a wrecker to hopefully reduce the costs. - less expensive

3. Go down the manual route of keeping your ECU and wiring the lights alternatively to bypass the ECU function - not ideal but cheapest by far.

Have a good read through of that link I posted above as I think all of those options are discussed.

Good luck and let us know how you go and if indeed it is your ECU that has died - we're still assuming ATM.

• Thumbsup 2

Hi Andrew, 

I feel your pain, I did something similar 

I ended up putting in a switch bypass, not as nice as the correct way with the ECU, but way cheaper and perfectly effective. Have a look through the thread i linked above, i got some good advice to help diagnose the problem.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1