Fresh meat on the way.

• Supporting Member
On 3/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, robzilla said:

Road 6s looking nice and ready! I'm still on the OEM T32s and should be ready to switch out to those Road 6s in a month or two, so hoping to hear your ride feedback once you're all put together. 

Righto!  Finally managed to get out before some predicted rains arrived today and the initial verdict on the ride is a big thumbs up! 👍

I did around 200kms today, travelling on some of my more familiar tracks so that I could compare (as much as possible) the differences between the new boots and the old.  Of course new boots are always going to be 'great' right out of the chutes but after some scrubbing in I pushed a little harder into some familiar corners and the feedback from both front and rear was confidence inspiring.  My previous 5s were getting squared off, more so at the front, and cornering was getting sketchy so there was an immediate and satisfying feeling of being much more planted and line holding from the front 'foot'.  This also might have something to do with the fact that the fronts on the 6s now have the 2CT+ construction like the rears giving a stronger sidewall.  Whatever it was, it wasn't in my imagination. 🙂

I'm no boy racer and these tyres far exceed my capabilities I'm sure, but that's the kind of safety margin I like.

Freshly scrubbed in.....

661742669_ScrubbedinFront.thumb.jpg.c18e45a85b097db1fef6e399dec6cdeb.jpg

770103908_ScrubbedinRear.thumb.jpg.95e73e52cfeb0481e67cb12afff8511c.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Wife must get her stuff out of my garage space where the drop-in anchors are that my NoMar tire changer bolts down to. It's only been 2 years!!!

Now I need to / must mount fresh doughnuts as spring is (hopefully) right around the corner. Had to PAY someone last year due to this issue! 🤐

Checked my attic stock and the oldest buns are T32s baked late in 20.  Next up are a patient pair of RS3s, so the R5s may have to wait until 25!

The matching S22 front for the rear I mounted in 21 on my VTR will go on before September if I get the miles on it I hope to.

Deferring all surgeries until next winter. Want to get to the MO Ozarks and CO Rockies this season. 

Got one of these I'll calibrate to the FJ that will supplement my Chain Monkey slack setter (bought for half that $, and kind of finiky to use). I'll report back on my opinions. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B085MM81R8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Monkey-Tension-Setting-Tru-Tension/dp/B015YD9WJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=37DAXIOYC351R&keywords=tru+tension+chain+monkey&qid=1680073673&sprefix=chain+monkey%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1

Plan on shortening the Razor R when I pull the rear wheel for the rubber swap.

Screenshot_20230329_015249_RadarX.jpg

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Wife must get her stuff out of my garage space where the drop-in anchors are that my NoMar tire changer bolts down to. It's only been 2 years!!!

Now I need to mount fresh  doughnuts and spring is right around the corner. Had to PAY someone last year due to this issue.

Checked my attic stock and the oldest buns are T32s baked late in 20.  Next up are a patient pair of RS3s, so the R5s may have to watch until 24!

The matching S22 front for the rear I mounted in 21 on my VTR will go on in September.

Got one of these I'll calibrate to the FJ that will supplement my Chain Monkey slack setter (bought for half that $, and kind of finiky to use). I'll report back on my opinions. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B085MM81R8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Monkey-Tension-Setting-Tru-Tension/dp/B015YD9WJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=37DAXIOYC351R&keywords=tru+tension+chain+monkey&qid=1680073673&sprefix=chain+monkey%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1

Plan on shortening the Razor R when I pull the rear wheel for the rubber swap.

Screenshot_20230329_015249_RadarX.jpg

That's a very flash looking chain tension setter Bret!  So, you still have to set the slack some other way first and then that device is then set up as a calibrated tool against your manually setup chain so you can check/compare in the future?

On another note, I'm seriously thinking of getting myself a tyre changing device/kit after my most recent change.  The shop operator managed to scratch the rear rim while taking an old rear wheel weight off after I'd asked specifically to look after my rims please. 😠 

And the balancing of the rear was waaay off.  I had to remove 20 grams of lead (out of 45 grams) for it to be close!  How can the front be balanced fine and yet the rear to be not even close?

Anyway, I know that the No-Mar gets a big tick of approval but I'm thinking of a more compact and portable kit like this one.  I don't want to devote space in the shed or even drill holes so that it can be removed - after all, look what happens when the missus puts all her stuff in that spot! 😉

Also, I like the idea that it can be mounted to a tow point on a vehicle for stability.  Bit more expensive than some hand tools for sure but much nicer and easier on an ageing body.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Correct regarding the slack checker.  Not cheap and 1 required per bike. 🤨

But it should make the process much more of a no brainer...so hopefully worth it.  If not back it goes to Amazon. 

IMO while the device appears functional (and similar to others (oneof which mounts on a wall; look for it), first you need a work table so your not bending and squatting, and the processes are much more fiddly than the NoMar and without as much leverage more lube is consequently necessary. 

BTW NoMar offers a trailer hitch attachment too, and sets up and breaks down quickly and easily and stores in minimal space.  Drilling 4 holes in the slab is no big deal aand I fill the internally threaded flush anchor holes with foam backer rod and apply a piece of Duct tape over when not in use.

My wifes stuff was from her mother's after she passed which is why she's  (wife) has been reticent to go through it...

LBDT

LADT

Life before Duct tape 

Life after Duct tape

Cheers 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Correct regarding the slack checker.  Not cheap and 1 required per bike. 🤨

But it should make the process much more of a no brainer...so hopefully worth it.  If not back it goes to Amazon. 

IMO while the device appears functional (and similar to others (oneof which mounts on a wall; look for it), first you need a work table so your not bending and squatting, and the processes are much more fiddly than the NoMar and without as much leverage more lube is consequently necessary. 

BTW NoMar offers a trailer hitch attachment too, and sets up and breaks down quickly and easily and stores in minimal space.  Drilling 4 holes in the slab is no big deal aand I fill the internally threaded flush anchor holes with foam backer rod and apply a piece of Duct tape over when not in use.

My wifes stuff was from her mother's after she passed which is why she's  (wife) has been reticent to go through it...

LBDT

LADT

Life before Duct tape 

Life after Duct tape

Cheers 

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

There seems to be many devices out there that achieve the same thing using variations on a theme.  As far as a decent solid workbench is concerned I'm fortunate enough to have that covered.

Since writing my last post I've seen 'You Tubes' of people manufacturing home made ones that are yet again a variation on the theme.  It is a relatively simple tool when all is said and done.

And OK, I can understand why your wife has delayed touching the belongings of her late Mother.  Very common reaction of course.

• Thanks 1