Fresh meat on the way.

• Supporting Member

Time for some new boots!  I've been on Michy Road 5's for last rotation of tyres and have, after much internal deliberation, decided to go for their latest incarnation and will be sporting Michy Road 6's tomorrow.

I should note that I've had to remortgage the house, sell a tranche of Microsoft and Apple shares as well as offer up one of my kidneys on the black market to be able to afford them!  The price of rubber has gone through the roof!!

The front was past the wear marks on the right hand side of the tyre ( a driving on the left hand side of the road characteristic apparently) and the rear probably has some life but is so close that it's fate was decided.

My other choice (for me) was to go with Bridgestone T32s and was tempted but they were only marginally cheaper and I really did like the Road 5s that I've been sporting so I'll give the Michys another whirl.

Also opting to have the forks serviced while I'm at it - just taking out a personal loan for that one. 🙄

While she's all apart - I'm thinking that I should attempt a swing arm service?  Never having done one, is there much to it?  Looks like I've got two more bolts to remove and it's out?

Advice from the learned always appreciated.

image.thumb.jpeg.a19b74c1a7595b771859d84190376399.jpeg

Michy 5s when they were young and fresh....

20200324_160848_resized.thumb.jpg.c1c9914a254e37c1d704936d33c38b46.jpg

And now when they're old and stuffed...

20230321_153033.thumb.jpg.224f9bf83215e7cabfdc3eb782693262.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Hey, plenty of tread left there! Especially on the rear 

Swingarm check and lube is relatively easy and has been covered in detail herein.

Servicing the forks also isn't very difficult with a few inexpensive tools.

Take a bite out of life and go for it!

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Hey, plenty of tread left there! Especially on the rear 

Swingarm check and lube is relatively easy and has been covered in detail herein.

Servicing the forks also isn't very difficult with a few inexpensive tools.

Take a bite out of life and go for it!

There is definitely some more life in the rear but the profile is gone on both tyres, especially the front with some squaring off giving me some funky feedback in corners on some of the more inconsistent roads around here.

Just thought it easier to get them both done in the one shot and not have to revisit the job a month or three later.

I have thought about doing the forks myself and may do so in the future but ATM I'm already chewing on life and currently have a mouthful. 😄

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

BTW How many miles on the 5s?

Nearly 14,300kms (around 9,000 miles) if that tells you something about my riding style/capability.

I have to say the Michys really were confidence inspiring for me and they stuck to corners like glue (not that I'm a super aggressive rider) so hoping/expecting the next gen 6 are just as good if not better.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

While she's all apart - I'm thinking that I should attempt a swing arm service?  Never having done one, is there much to it?  Looks like I've got two more bolts to remove and it's out?

Advice from the learned always appreciated.

Good idea, cleaning and greasing the swing arm and shock linkage bearings is very simple and relatively quick to do.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

Good idea, cleaning and greasing the swing arm and shock linkage bearings is very simple and relatively quick to do.

Done.  I pulled the swing arm and did all of the bearings in the relay arm as well.  Thought that Yamaha short changed me a bearing on the right hand side of the swing arm but a quick check of the manual reveals that there are two on the left but only one on the right.  I guess the left is where all the driving force is focused?

image.thumb.jpeg.db22ef3f78fa928b9fbfdf5f49d6d8a4.jpeg

On a side note, while I was working on the bike a visitor turned up. 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.7a6d05330b50a59c5c5a4fa2dc71e337.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

The Adventure of the Speckled Band by Sir ACD!

It looks venomous! And Big!

I'll stick with our now almost extinct Pigmy Rattlers here thank you, of which I've seen only 2 in my time 60+ years ago on the farm...

Too many iky things down under! And like Indiana Jones, I HATE snakes!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The Adventure of the Speckled Band by Sir ACD!

It looks venomous! And Big!

I'll stick with our now almost extinct Pigmy Rattlers here thank you, of which I've seen only 2 in my time 60+ years ago on the farm...

Too many iky things down under! And like Indiana Jones, I HATE snakes!

Ha! Non-venomous and about 2M. Not a big one but a decent specimen.

• Thumbsup 2

Like you found the swingarm is not hard to get off once the rear wheel is off.  3 years ago I set out on a trip with my BMW F800GT and at the end of the 2nd day had a massive rear wheel bearing failure.  It was a single sided swingarm and the rear hub was difficult to take apart and expensive and difficult to get.  Bought a used swingarm complete with everything mounted for a little more than the price of a new hub.  Swapping it out was easy and I did it at the campground I was staying at.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Like you found the swingarm is not hard to get off once the rear wheel is off.

Yes, I don't know why I've hesitated in the past.  Like most jobs, you don't really know until you attempt it and once done it turned out to be a bit of a doddle. 👍

Road 6s looking nice and ready! I'm still on the OEM T32s and should be ready to switch out to those Road 6s in a month or two, so hoping to hear your ride feedback once you're all put together. 

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, robzilla said:

Road 6s looking nice and ready! I'm still on the OEM T32s and should be ready to switch out to those Road 6s in a month or two, so hoping to hear your ride feedback once you're all put together. 

Will do Rob after I've put a few kms on them.

In the mean time, check out @Wintersdark's thoughts on them.   You guys are in a similar locale/climate so his report probably holds more credence for you.

Cheers.