HELP! What is the best method to record and save your motorcycle routes to re-ride in the future

If you want to record a ride and re-ride (as per title) / export it to a sat nav later, try the free Yamaha MyRide App which works well. 

It does not provide a trip planning function and you need to start it before each ride though.

• 9 months later...

I'm a long-time Locus user also.  I pay something annually for it, and it's very actively developed.  You can sync stuff to their cloud service now, which makes it handy not only for backup, but to curate or delete routes, group 'em, etc.  I think you can share tracks also, like this one, which is kinda cool.

Interesting thread revival! Seems worth some added discussion.

Since last summer, I've signed up for a subscription and started using Ride With GPS to plan routes. They have the best browser-based route planning options I've ever seen.

https://ridewithgps.com/

The app, however, does not work well for my particular and possibly peculiar use case. If you want to follow a single route, exactly as planned, the app is great. (And/or if you want the app to keep track of the route you ride for later use.) The RWGPS works one certain way, and it does an amazing job, but it's just too damn bad if you think and ride in a different way. If you have speakers, for example, you can set up voice prompts for turns and even add your own. It's all pretty deluxe, but it just doesn't work for me.

I may be the weird one here, but I usually prefer to have several routes in an area loaded up and give each track a different color. I also tend to wander off and explore other roads that look interesting as I go, so I might not always be on a track. For this usage, Locus Pro is fantastic (although I would like the ability to make overlapping tracks more perceivable, or control the stacking order somehow). 

RWGPS simply can't be used in this manner; if you're off the planned track, the screen blinks and flashes a gigantic warning in a most distracting and uninformative way, and tries its best to route you back to your planned track no matter what. You cannot display multiple tracks (if you combine tracks, then you get one track that's all the same color) and the app cannot cope with riding a track or a section "backwards", as you might with looping tracks.

So I use RWGPS to plan routes on a computer, then export the GPX tracks and put them into Locus Pro on my phone (I use Google Drive to store and move these files). FWIW, Locus Pro is Android-only; Osmand has iOS and Android versions if that's important to you. I know some folks have grabbed a cheap older Android phone for use as a GPS; Locus Pro doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware, and you may not want to risk your expensive and delicate primary phone on the handlebars.

• Thumbsup 1