Throttle stabilizer

21 hours ago, knyte said:

The only thing I can complain about - and it's a very gentle complaint - it's a bit fiddly to install.  Some of the pieces can just about fit in a wrist watch.  I'd anticipated that, so gave myself an afternoon to install it, lol.  Kept a magnet handy for the inevitable dropped screw.  It might've taken 45 mins or so to get it  "ADHD right".

Otherwise, the operation and such has been fantastic.  It even looks like it belongs. Very high quality farkle.

Yup, I helped install one of these (well, I installed it while the owner mostly watched), and it's a very interesting and very high quality bit of kit.

I do think the strategy of experimenting with assorted friction pads to get the right degree of friction against the switch pod is well below the standard set by the rest of the device. (Although I also don't really have a better idea at the moment.) That said, it gets the job done nicely once it's set up. Word is that you do have to replace the friction pads every so often, but you can get spares on their website.

Anyway, the owner loved it.

I tried it out and it just wasn't my cup of tea at all. It's hard to explain exactly why. The mass it added to the throttle felt a little odd, but only for a few minutes. It also takes a pretty strong press of the button to engage, so you have to move your hand over and the throttle always seems to move while you're pressing the button. Of course, it's easy enough to fine-tune the throttle position once it's engaged; you can still move the throttle quite easily.

There's a lot of personal preference involved in these things. I personally didn't love this one, but a lot of people do.

Like most things in motorcycling, most riders have to experiment somewhat to find the solution that feels right, and there's a lot of individual variation and subjectivity.

Edited by bwringer
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, bwringer said:

The one thing that regularly and severely chaps my ass about FJ-09 ownership is seeing those blanked-off spots in the left switchpod where Mama Yama removed the cruise control buttons. (The same pod is used on the Super Tenere, and I think the FJR.)

On a throttle-by wire sport-touring bike, leaving out a few switches and a bit o' software is just plain mean and downright petty.

I'm not yet chapped enough to pony up the fat stack of cash for an McCruise (currently $645.00).

Yes, that was an annoyance for me too. I started with the MC Cruise control buttons, then I found a guide here on how to create a stock-looking setup. Either a Super Tenere or FJR left switch pod, a tri-color LED, a couple resistors, and some wire.

It looks awesome, takes up less space, and is really what Yamaha should have done to begin with. it is just a few buttons and some code in the ECU...I would have gladly paid a little more on the bike for it to be included. Thankfully, more bike makers (except Honda) are getting it and putting cruise on more than just their luxo-barge tourers. 

AIL4fc9qEUhsLT581vBvET19f91rO4e0jDCbgdHJ

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

Yes, that was an annoyance for me too. I started with the MC Cruise control buttons, then I found a guide here on how to create a stock-looking setup. Either a Super Tenere or FJR left switch pod, a tri-color LED, a couple resistors, and some wire.

It looks awesome, takes up less space, and is really what Yamaha should have done to begin with. it is just a few buttons and some code in the ECU...I would have gladly paid a little more on the bike for it to be included. Thankfully, more bike makers (except Honda) are getting it and putting cruise on more than just their luxo-barge tourers. 

AIL4fc9qEUhsLT581vBvET19f91rO4e0jDCbgdHJ

Yer killin' me, absolutely killin' me... what could have been and should have been...