Throttle stabilizer

Hello, all.

Does anyone run their Tracer with a Kaoko throttle stabilizer? If so, are they a good addition for longer trips? Any suggestions for similar style units are welcome or if these types of add-ons are simply a bad idea, I’m all ears. Thanks.

• Supporting Member

I used one on a previous bike - only because electronic cruise control wasn't available for that bike.  The Kaoko worked well on a flat road, as soon as you encounter any degree of incline you will slow down and any downward grade will have you speeding up rapidly.  I live in an area with elevation changes, I was constantly making minor adjustments to maintain the desired speed.  If you live in a flat region, it should work very well for you.

Now that I have a bike that is compatible with an electronic cruise control I am forever spoiled and will never own a bike without CC again.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
  • 2 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:00 PM, betoney said:

I used one on a previous bike - only because electronic cruise control wasn't available for that bike.  The Kaoko worked well on a flat road, as soon as you encounter any degree of incline you will slow down and any downward grade will have you speeding up rapidly.  I live in an area with elevation changes, I was constantly making minor adjustments to maintain the desired speed.  If you live in a flat region, it should work very well for you.

Now that I have a bike that is compatible with an electronic cruise control I am forever spoiled and will never own a bike without CC again.

Did you find an aftermarket for the 1st gen of FJ09 ? If yes which one?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Xstoff said:

Checkout the 'McCruise'. Excellent product and customer service. Pricey but worth it, if desired.

https://www.mccruise.com/en-us/products/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-fj-09-new-throttle-by-wire-mccruise

• Thumbsup 3

I used a Crampbuster along with a Go-Cruise throttle lock for several years before discovering the joy of cruise control. 

Any throttle lock is just going give a short reprieve to your throttle hand. Any kind of elevation change (uphill or downhill), headwind, etc. and your speed will change. It seems like they all need some kind of fiddling to hold speed even for a minute without starting to back off. It's a safety issue, so I get why they aren't securely locking the throttle in any position. 

Cruise control is amazing, and in my opinion, necessary for a touring bike for me. MC Cruise has an awesome product for the Tracer/FJ-09. It is expensive, and installation is complicated, but the instructions and customer service are exceptional. The owners spent time with me on the phone (they are in Australia) to troubleshoot issues I had on mine (the 2019 ECU was updated a little from the 2018 and prior bikes, so they needed to do a little reprograming of the MCC brain). 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Xstoff said:

As @Heli ATP mentioned, MCCruise is the one you want. I installed one on both my FJ and VFR and they both work flawlessly. I haven’t had one issue on either bike.  Expensive but worth every penny. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Got an Atlas and it works great for me.  Easy to engage / disengage, and easy to adjust.  It's not so much a throttle 'lock' as a 'firmly in place' throttle.  So if you find you're speeding up or slowing down for whatever reason, you can just tweak the throttle a wee bit without disengaging it.

It wasn't cheap, but the quality is there - and still far less than actual cruise control.  Granted, CC would be the ultimate, but for now this does what I want.

@Dave Clark has a good photo

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Great conversation, all.  
After returning from a 3500km trip this summer, and trying a cramp buster, I’ve decided to simply ensure CC is standard on my next bike. (I never really felt confident with it after blipping it by accident at low speed.) I really enjoy the bike but will most likely ensure my next machine has CC as standard. Unrelated, but in talking about accessories, I did add SHAD e48 side bags and frames. With inner dry bags, they worked flawlessly. 

• Thumbsup 1

I went with a Kaoko throttle lock and a Kuryakyn throttle assist, on my old V-Strom.  The Kaoko worked great, for the limited function a throttle "lock".  The Kuryakyn assist is much smaller than most available and made it possible to hold the throttle with an open hand without being intrusive for day-to-day operation.  Plus, the Kuryakyn is quite small and extremely easy to put on or take off so I just kept it in my tank bag unless needed.

6251_6.jpg

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kuryakyn-universal-throttle-boss

Edited by Heavy

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, knyte said:

Got an Atlas and it works great for me.  Easy to engage / disengage, and easy to adjust.  It's not so much a throttle 'lock' as a 'firmly in place' throttle.  So if you find you're speeding up or slowing down for whatever reason, you can just tweak the throttle a wee bit without disengaging it.

It wasn't cheap, but the quality is there - and still far less than actual cruise control.  Granted, CC would be the ultimate, but for now this does what I want.

@Dave Clark has a good photo

Wondered how the Atlas was doing for you. Have my eye on one. Read about the owners on advrider forum. 

Dan

• Thumbsup 1

The one thing that regularly and severely chaps my ass about FJ-09 ownership is seeing those blanked-off spots in the left switchpod where Mama Yama removed the cruise control buttons. (The same pod is used on the Super Tenere, and I think the FJR.)

On a throttle-by wire sport-touring bike, leaving out a few switches and a bit o' software is just plain mean and downright petty.

I'm not yet chapped enough to pony up the fat stack of cash for an McCruise (currently $645.00).

Anyway, I haven't yet met a throttle lock I like, although I've tried them all. I generally have a "Crampbuster" palm rest gadget on hand I can strap on if needed, and this gives enough right hand respite to muddle through highway stints.

The Crampbuster attaches with a velcro strap, so I can get it exactly where it helps but doesn't get in the way. The Kuryakn rubber gadget isn't big enough to do much good, IMHO.

The Throttle Rocker is a very similar palm perch gadget, but it drives me batty because it's sort of a one-way spring-loaded clamp sort of arrangement, and it's far too easy to accidentally knock it upward into an awkward position. Then you have to spin it all the way around the grip to the right position. Too distracting at speed.

The GoCruise throttle lock (it's a plastic or metal widget that clamps around your grip, then can rest against the brake lever mount to hold the throttle open) can work well, but I find that it's also a little too distracting to deploy.

Edited by bwringer

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Wondered how the Atlas was doing for you

The only thing I can complain about - and it's a very gentle complaint - it's a bit fiddly to install.  Some of the pieces can just about fit in a wrist watch.  I'd anticipated that, so gave myself an afternoon to install it, lol.  Kept a magnet handy for the inevitable dropped screw.  It might've taken 45 mins or so to get it  "ADHD right".

Otherwise, the operation and such has been fantastic.  It even looks like it belongs. Very high quality farkle.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount