Noisy trans

Greetings-new to the forum and the 2019 Tracer 900 GT.  Love the bike so far, but the gearbox is a bit noisy.  WIth only 8,500 miles, I figure this is "normal", and I have had three Yamaha TDM 850's, all of which has a congenital noisy gearbox.  On that bike, it was explained to me that the crank gear and transmission driven gear made the noise, and after 80K miles on one, I never had any issues-didn't get worse or fail...

Is this just "the way it is"?  

Describe "noisy".

I have the same bike and don't have a noisy gearbox as such, but I do that the clutch basket rattle, described in other threads on this forum. Is that what you're talking about?

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

7 hours ago, ParallelTwinz said:

Thanks, and yes, that's probably it, but makes more noise in lower gears at lower RPM range, can't hear it once you're rolling.  Probably nothing,  just new to this model and every bike sounds different...

If it is heard when stopped then that may the same thing others have The noise I (and many others have) is best heard when idling in neutral and the clutch level is pulled in very slightly, the rattle is heard. With the lever fully out there is no rattle. If that is the case search the forum for this ... there is a replacement clutch basket which those who have installed it says it works.

My 2020 has the clutch rattle but it's not too bad.  It also has the whine which I think is the primary gears.  Can be a bit loud at some speeds but at interstate speeds and slow speeds not noticeable.  I've only got a little over 27,000 miles on it.  Clutch basket rattle is most annoying when riding out of campgrounds at low speeds.

3 hours ago, ParallelTwinz said:

Found the problem-PO wasn't big on cleaning or lubing a chain....what a mess!  Put it on the lift, cleaned and lubes the chain properly and guess what? Noise went away.....  AYAYEE!

Oh OK ... different noise. :)

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

If it is heard when stopped then that may the same thing others have The noise I (and many others have) is best heard when idling in neutral and the clutch level is pulled in very slightly, the rattle is heard. With the lever fully out there is no rattle. If that is the case search the forum for this ... there is a replacement clutch basket which those who have installed it says it works.

I know this is not the original posters problem but I think you were trying to think of the so called "Gronk" noise Grumpy where the cushion rubbers of the clutch basket were on the way out?

11 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I know this is not the original posters problem but I think you were trying to think of the so called "Gronk" noise Grumpy where the cushion rubbers of the clutch basket were on the way out?

Yeah, but I am baffled as to why it is called a "gronk" noise. Mine sounds nothing like a "gronk" but is definitely a soft rattle that goes away with the slight pull of the clutch.

The way Gronk shows up on my 2021 Tracer is under neutral throttle.  Most noticeable at lower speeds, but can also be detected at higher speeds.  Neutral throttle.. Once you give some gas it goes away.  That is the Gronk, as I understand it. There is a grinding quality to it, like some bearing is going south, and the noise comes and goes.

The other noise is the usual trans/clutch rattle that happens with all motorcycles.  It is particularly bad on the Tracer.  Cold engine, it is a real bag of bolts there.  It gets less and less as the motor heats up.  With motor at full temp heat saturated I can barely detect it, on mine.  It's so bad at start up, I will start mine in gear clutch pulled for its one minute warm up in the driveway.