Putting it on the center stand without a glove on

Anyone else use the left passenger peg bracket to get the scoot on the center stand?  Have you done it without a glove.  Hurts like He!! because of the sharp edges.  I took some small gas line marked 4.8 mm ID and I measured OD as 5/16 in. (1 cm) and used about 5 in.s (12 cm) of it to wedge up into the slot on the backside of top piece of the bracket where you would grab it.  It leaves enough hose exposed to keep the sharp edges off your fingers.  It wedges into the slot very tight but I used a little black silicone rubber to make sure it stayed there.

I also used the same gas line to extend the Drive Mode switch so you can reach it with your thumb while your hand is still on the grip.  Used about 1-1/8 in. (30 mm) piece of the same hose and cut a square out on the back side about 1/2 in. (1 cm) from the left side to the center of the knob and then forced the hose over the switch knob.  Once on and in position, I slowly filled from both ends with black silicone rubber so as to not over fill and bond it to the switch gear housing.  I let it dry for about 4-6 hr.s or until it had started to cure and then gently pushed the hose left to make it operate freely.  Support the hose so it doesn't move out of place or pop off.  Then walk away and let it cure for 24 hr.s.  Should you do this mod Don't over fill the hose and I would suggest prepping by cleaning the mode switch knob with some alcohol to help bonding.  Also use a very light coating of oil or grease on the switch housing on either side of the knob, so the silicone rubber won't bond to it.   When I learn how I'll post pic's.  Opp's I see Photobucket, guess I better go take a picture and insert it.  Never mind can't get my computer to see the phone.  Use your imagination. :)  Or ask questions.

Steve
Steve

• Premium Member
I just hold the passenger grab bar. Goes right up. 
Ty
Me too. confused2_zpsv8dmakkf.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Ty
I'm a 5'8" shortarse so the grab rail is a little too high for me. I grab the rear most bar of the triangle forming the pillion footrest hanger. No sharp edges but it is usually covered in road cack. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Ty
I'm a 5'8" shortarse so the grab rail is a little too high for me. I grab the rear most bar of the triangle forming the pillion footrest hanger. No sharp edges but it is usually covered in road cack. 

My other bike can be a lot harder ( heavier ) to get on the center stand. Till I learned that you dont lift it so much with your right hand as much as you stomp down firmly with your right foot. Let your weight do all the work.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
My other bike can be a lot harder ( heavier ) to get on the center stand. Till I learned that you dont lift it so much with your right hand as much as you stomp down firmly with your right foot. Let your weight do all the work. 
Ty

and getting it upright so both feet of the stand are in contact with the ground - your right hand is more about keeping the bike stable in the transition rather than providing grunt, which as you say is mainly done with your right foot
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Ty
I know mine has sharp edges on the back of the hanger.  I'm 5'8" also.  Still getting use to stomping down with the foot, not lift on the hanger.  But I'm getting there.  Almost turned it over when I also pulled the handle bar. DOH  
While we're at it anyone put sliders or crash bars on yet?  I need some for the off road adventures coming up in WV at the end of May.

Steve

Steve

Guest rszk
Okay,I'm shorter than all you guys...I think haha! 5' 7" and 175 lbs.   Try getting up a Super Tenere on the center stand without technique.Key is make sure that when you press the center stand lever down that the stand actually hits both feet on the ground. Now you should have the left hand on the left grip and the right hand on the grab rail by the seat, not the passenger bracket foot rest. The right hand merely balances the bike along with the left. Now weight transfer to the right leg. You don't even have to do any lifting with your arms, just press the lever to the ground with your right leg.When I first put the bike on the center stand at the dealer ship, the bike slid another 8 inches as it went up so fast as it's so light.  It's 90% technique, not strength.Oh and with all things  YMMV ;)

rszk, I agree with the listed method and results. But I'm 64 yr.s old, 5'8" at 135 lb.s. you have 40 lb.s on me and probably fewer years of wear and tear, to stomp with. So I find being the Pedrosa that I am, that it is easier to add a little lift with right arm, pulling in a coordinated effort with the stomp on the center stand. No big deal. I get it up just fine until I have 120 lb.s of stuff in the bags and trunk on a trip. But I also figured that out.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm out of here, to find a forum that will cover the needed crash bars/sliders and front brake/clutch lever information.

Being that I'm a Newbee to this site, if someone would like to provide me with which forum I need to be in to discuss that, I say thanks in advance.

Steve
Steve

• Premium Member
While we're at it anyone put sliders or crash bars on yet?  I need some for the off road adventures coming up in WV at the end of May.

Yup, SW-Motech: 

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90418&g2_serialNumber=1
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90424&g2_serialNumber=2

Good quality bars and very easy to install.

I had originally attempted to buy these from twistedthrottle.com, but they were out of stock.  advdepot.com had them, though.  (Oddly the box it came in had stickers covering twisted throttle markings.)

I also got the H&B undertray:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90450&g2_serialNumber=2

This is not a proper bash guard, which wasn't obvious from photos, it's more like stone protection for the coolant reservoir and oil filter.  Installation was actually kind of annoying because the instructions didn't even mention one of the bolts you have to remove (the long bolt that holds the centerstand on) and the bolt is reused but isn't quite long enough with the undertray in place -- the nut, when fully tightened, is about one thread short.  A dose of loctite is a good idea, although I might at some point see if I can get a 5mm longer bolt.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Yup, SW-Motech: 

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90418&g2_serialNumber=1
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90424&g2_serialNumber=2

Good quality bars and very easy to install.

I had originally attempted to buy these from twistedthrottle.com, but they were out of stock.  advdepot.com had them, though.  (Oddly the box it came in had stickers covering twisted throttle markings.)

This is not a proper bash guard, which wasn't obvious from photos, it's more like stone protection for the coolant reservoir and oil filter.  Installation was actually kind of annoying because the instructions didn't even mention one of the bolts you have to remove (the long bolt that holds the centerstand on) and the bolt is reused but isn't quite long enough with the undertray in place -- the nut, when fully tightened, is about one thread short.  A dose of loctite is a good idea, although I might at some point see if I can get a 5mm longer bolt.

I also bought the h&b under tray but ended up sending it back. It really doesnt protect what it was intending to protect or at least thats what there description says. I would save my money and wait for something better. Also the sw motech crash bars are well worth it. This is the best product that I have on the bike so far.

• Premium Member

This is not a proper bash guard, which wasn't obvious from photos, it's more like stone protection for the coolant reservoir and oil filter.
I also bought the h&b under tray but ended up sending it back. It really doesnt protect what it was intending to protect or at least thats what there description says. I would save my money and wait for something better. Also the sw motech crash bars are well worth it. This is the best product that I have on the bike so far.
I gave thought to sending it back when I realized it wasn't a bash guard, but decided to keep it because I'm not really off-roading the bike anyway and it does provide good protection against stones hitting the coolant reservoir and oil filter.  The reservoir in particular seems like it's in a rather vulnerable position.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Key is make sure that when you press the center stand lever down that the stand actually hits both feet on the ground. Now you should have the left hand on the left grip and the right hand on the grab rail by the seat, not the passenger bracket foot rest. The right hand merely balances the bike along with the left. Now weight transfer to the right leg. You don't even have to do any lifting with your arms, just press the lever to the ground with your right leg.When I first put the bike on the center stand at the dealer ship, the bike slid another 8 inches as it went up so fast as it's so light.  It's 90% technique, not strength.Oh and with all things  YMMV ;)
I do this exactly. Has worked perfectly every time! 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 1 month later...
A guy told me a long time ago "if you're pulling up with your hands and arms you're doing it wrong." All the lifting should come from your foot on the lever. Your hands should only be stabilizing the bike side to side as it comes up. That's how those dinky little guys pop Goldwings on their centerstands.

• Premium Member
A guy told me a long time ago "if you're pulling up with your hands and arms you're doing it wrong." All the lifting should come from your foot on the lever. Your hands should only be stabilizing the bike side to side as it comes up. That's how those dinky little guys pop Goldwings on their centerstands.
Yup. Buddy of mine down at the Gap showed me this as well. I was trying to pull it up on the stand. He showed me how to do it right. It took me a few tries to 'learn' it but it's it much easier now.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived