Mudguard or radiator guard?

On 6/21/2023 at 12:23 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

My pyramid rear hugger extension also helps keep things clean particularly muck from getting thrown at the shock

There are some gaps in the o e m rear hugger that need to be filled with foam or caulk that Otherwise allow muck to pass thru them and get on the shock

20230621_132059.jpg

20230621_132109.jpg

20230621_132125.jpg

20230621_132133.jpg

Thanks for that. Because you have to fill in gaps I ordered a different one for the rear. I’ll order the pyramid one for the front fender though. 

• Supporting Member

@Headgas - I picture the radiator guard and fender extender as serving two separate purposes, that just happen to overlap a bit.  

For protection, a good radiator guard is the way to go.  The only noticeable ding I gave in mine is way up high on the radiator guard… obviously a rock or other debris that came directly in above the front fender.   A mudguard isn’t going to do anything to lessen that risk.   

The fender extender should help keep the front of the motor & exhaust clean, but I wouldn’t count on it for protection beyond basic splash control.   

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Headgas said:

Thanks for that. Because you have to fill in gaps I ordered a different one for the rear. I’ll order the pyramid one for the front fender though. 

I'll bet you a six pack of my favorite brew that the gaps will still be there with a full hugger replacement. As an injection moulding thermoplastic manufacturing engineer I know The attachment points for the hugger make it difficult to not leave gaps.

The rearward coverage of all the full hugger replacements do not extend more than a 1/2 inch further back than my Pyramid. Hugger extension. The stock hugger is very durable so attaching an extension to It was a piece of cake and looks cool too with the c f.