Mudguard or radiator guard?

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Headgas said:

Just trying to figure out if I need both or is only one necessary.

I have never used a front fender extender but have used a radiator guard on every bike I have owned.  I can handle a little bit of water splash but a punctured radiator will ruin your day.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, betoney said:

I have never used a front fender extender but have used a radiator guard on every bike I have owned.  I can handle a little bit of water splash but a punctured radiator will ruin your day.

Yea I thought so

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Pyramid rear hugger extension, FendaExtenda front, SW-Mototech skid plate and Evotech rad guard; KTM Explorer hand guards

Do we need a skid plate when this bike isn’t for going off-road? I also have the full akrapovic exhaust coming. Not sure if one will fit with that. I’ll look at those products you recommended. Thank you!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Another vote for a rad guard!

And yes, the oil pans on these bikes are, anecdotally, rather fragile.  There's a post or two (at least one resulting in multi-day repairs on the road) of a stray rock hitting just right and cracking the pan (it seems that searching the site isn't working ATM or I'd post some links).  I've also heard of at least one incident where someone with a loaded bike (pillion & gear) bottoming out on a speed bump and cracking the pan.

It's a bit better with the newer bikes because the drain plug is located up and out of the way.  On the first-gen bikes the plug was the lowest point on the bike.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

2 minutes ago, knyte said:

Another vote for a rad guard!

And yes, the oil pans on these bikes are, anecdotally, rather fragile.  There's a post or two (at least one resulting in multi-day repairs on the road) of a stray rock hitting just right and cracking the pan (it seems that searching the site isn't working ATM or I'd post some links).  I've also heard of at least one incident where someone with a loaded bike (pillion & gear) bottoming out on a speed bump and cracking the pan.

It's a bit better with the newer bikes because the drain plug is located up and out of the way.  On the first-gen bikes the plug was the lowest point on the bike.

Ok that sucks. At least I have a new one. Do you know what skid plate will work with the full akrapovic exhaust?

I added a skid plate on my 2020 and it has scraped a few times.  Most of the time don't think the oil pan would have touched but one time in a remote area in Utah I think it would have.  

Have a radiator guard, first bike with one and have never had a problem but good safeguard.  I've looked it over and don't see any chips that indicated it saved the radiator but never know.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Headgas said:

Ok that sucks. At least I have a new one. Do you know what skid plate will work with the full akrapovic exhaust?

That's the sixty four thousand dollar question as to what will fit other than an OEM exhaust system.

I've checked and haven't been able to determine that so it would be trial an error.

The SW moto Tech skid plate is the least Intrusive so to speak and does a good job of protecting the sump. I drilled a hole in mine underneath the drain plug because I have a 15 where it's at the back of the sump Pan so I can change the oil without having to pull the skid plate.

A low profile drain plug is also recommended for those with the bolt at the bottom of the pan.

The plate also protects the headers and minimizes road grime on the engine. It's amazing how mucky the front of the skid plate gets.

1 minute ago, 2and3cylinders said:

That's the sixty four thousand dollar question as to what will fit other than an OEM exhaust system.

I've checked and haven't been able to determine that so it would be trial an error.

The SW moto Tech skid plate is the least Intrusive so to speak and does a good job of protecting the sump. I drilled a hole in mine underneath the drain plug because I have a 15 where it's at the back of the sump Pan so I can change the oil without having to pull the skid plate.

A low profile drain plug is also recommended for those with the bolt at the bottom of the pan.

The plate also protects the headers and minimizes road grime on the engine. It's amazing how mucky the front of the skid plate gets.

Hmm. Ok. So I’ll for sure get a mudguard for the front fender

As someone who experienced a rock on the radiator on a different bike (C14), I wanted to be sure I didn't experience that again on my T9GT so I installed a radiator guard (Evotech) in addition to a front fender extender (Pyramid). It's peace of mind if a rock or something ever kicks up in that area.  I think those 2 items are all you need.

I was just on a day trip around Mt Rainier a few weeks ago and didn't realize one of the roads is gravel and glad I was only going <20mph, but thankful I had the radiator guard + front fender installed. After navigating that road for a few miles, I pulled over and checked everything and didn't see rocks or damage so the protection passed with flying colors!

https://youtu.be/meAsjmtLIR8

Edited by robzilla

15 hours ago, betoney said:

Yup I am not a fan of the fender extender, and I too added a radiator guard not long after I bought the bike.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

My pyramid rear hugger extension also helps keep things clean particularly muck from getting thrown at the shock

There are some gaps in the o e m rear hugger that need to be filled with foam or caulk that Otherwise allow muck to pass thru them and get on the shock

20230621_132059.jpg

20230621_132109.jpg

20230621_132125.jpg

20230621_132133.jpg

6 hours ago, robzilla said:

As someone who experienced a rock on the radiator on a different bike (C14), I wanted to be sure I didn't experience that again on my T9GT so I installed a radiator guard (Evotech) in addition to a front fender extender (Pyramid). It's peace of mind if a rock or something ever kicks up in that area.  I think those 2 items are all you need.

I was just on a day trip around Mt Rainier a few weeks ago and didn't realize one of the roads is gravel and glad I was only going <20mph, but thankful I had the radiator guard + front fender installed. After navigating that road for a few miles, I pulled over and checked everything and didn't see rocks or damage so the protection passed with flying colors!

https://youtu.be/meAsjmtLIR8

How did you get a gps mounted right there above the dashes?

2 hours ago, Headgas said:

How did you get a gps mounted right there above the dashes?

Its a 3D printed part off eBay and has held up very well. Seems someone copied the part and you can probably find it at other sources although I would go with the this one. Many YouTube reviews on it including how I found this...

https://youtu.be/heoUPh6ORU8

He's using the older mount in that video. The ebay seller has the newer revision which is what I'm using for my Garmin Zumo XT.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:06 PM, robzilla said:

Its a 3D printed part off eBay and has held up very well. Seems someone copied the part and you can probably find it at other sources although I would go with the this one. Many YouTube reviews on it including how I found this...

https://youtu.be/heoUPh6ORU8

He's using the older mount in that video. The ebay seller has the newer revision which is what I'm using for my Garmin Zumo XT.

Ok cool. I want a Garmin but it’s hard to justify spending the money on it when I have my phone and a quadlock with the wireless charger.