North Cascades, W. Montana, Central Oregon

betoney

• Supporting Member

I just returned from a 5-day ride with my brother, the map link isn't an exact road listing but is very close to our route.

https://goo.gl/maps/YP6goN1sk4tgdGqW7

We were initially concerned with the weather in the mountain passes, each morning forecast for cold and light rain., the first morning was Chinook Pass, the second morning was Sherman Pass, the third morning was Lolo Pass and the 5th morning was White Pass.   We still got cold mornings but fortunately they were dry and sunny. 

In addition to riding through scenic mountains we also rode through Hell's Canyon, central Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge.

Great weather the entire time, amazing scenery, phenomenal roads and some really good brew pubs each night.

image.thumb.png.c3a222742866d1cb653e37f9c49f77e4.png

image.thumb.png.b5f056e3e8bd1653fddf6167a0b900bb.png

image.thumb.png.6e6d13d805f9300805be17958d86fe5d.png

image.thumb.png.e41354fc210e655d9f185a0c0bade68b.png

image.thumb.png.23caf8127674fc1b51b4057e7c63ff51.png

image.thumb.png.4c93320b25dbe90b154a0a7e7f78ee6a.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Once again, some wonderful scenery.  Got  to get over that way some time.  Looks like really inviting countryside.

We stopped and talked with a large group of riders from Texas , 2 drivers trailered 12 bikes and the other 10 guys flew in for a week of riding this very same area, they were in awe, they loved the scenery and the roads and the diversity of riding locations- oceans, mountains, desert, dense forest, canyons etc.  I admit we are very spoiled having this in our relative backyard or within a days ride away.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, oregonian said:

How'd it go with the chip sealing happening everywhere?  I ride the same roads and try to avoid that, but the states don't often give any warning at all.

Great route.  

There was a short section of Highway 12 over Lolo Pass that was under construction and one other short section on the route that had been chip sealed but most of the route was smooth pavement in great condition.

Just yesterday was doing preliminary planning on going from Missoula SW and then looping back to Arco.  Some great views!  In 2021 was in Butte and planned on going to Missoula and then 93 S to Arco but wildfires and smoke changed my plans.  I'd be out there in early September and hopefully wildfires would not be too bad.

Of course would be in the Miata since the bike is going.  Having risen thru fresh chip-tar its one place where I like the thought of a car.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

In 2021 was in Butte and planned on going to Missoula and then 93 S to Arco but wildfires and smoke changed my plans.  I'd be out there in early September and hopefully wildfires would not be too bad.

That is exactly my plan this September, -barring any wildfires- Olympia to Missoula, south on US93 to Stanley and the West to John Day, Oregon and back North.  I have never ridden US93, I was planning it last fall but like you said the wildfires spoiled my plans, hopefully I can make it this year.