New dude from PA…

theog

Figured I’d chime in officially as I’ve been a long time lurker. Finally picked up a ‘17 FJ-09 this week.  Was back and forth on a 19+ model but ended up finding a nicely set up first gen for a great price. 

Anyway, been riding for 17 years, and have owned even more bikes. Currently have a WR250R and a Sur Ron Ultra Bee in the garage next to the -09 for those other types of riding. My first Yamaha was a ‘14 FZ-09, but also owned a FZ-10, FZ-07, R7, and T700. I guess you could say I’ve circled around the Tracer for quite some time - hoping this scratches the itch for me!

Anyway, looking forward to checking out what this community has to offer. Seems like there’s better engagement here than most other forums these days (thanks, Facebook). 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome @theog- It looks like you’ve been through the full rotation of Yamahas… I hope the FJ is ‘just right’ for you.   It’s a really entertaining motorcycle.   

I’m intrigued by the Ultra Bee.  You’re happy with it? 

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Welcome @theog- It looks like you’ve been through the full rotation of Yamahas… I hope the FJ is ‘just right’ for you.   It’s a really entertaining motorcycle.   

I’m intrigued by the Ultra Bee.  You’re happy with it? 

Shhh!  Don't tell anyone...

It's my favorite motorcycle I've ever owned.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 8/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, theog said:

Finally picked up a ‘17 FJ-09 this week.  Was back and forth on a 19+ model but ended up finding a nicely set up first gen for a great price.

Welcome. You appear to have scored a gen2... or maybe a gen1+ 🙂. There were a few changes for the 2017 MY IIRC... at least as they sold them in Canada:

• Slipper clutch
  • Improved factory fueling
  • Deleted on-screen diagnostics (get an OBD2 reader)
  • Fork edits i.e. axle screws in from left side, ABS sensor location etc.

Enjoy your bike !

• Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Yeah, I specifically wanted the slipper clutch. So the 17+ was my target. 

I’ve been a little confused by some other differences, though. Did the fairing or windscreen change at all?  And how about the swingarm, I read on this forum that it was 10 mm longer than the 15-16 models…but not as long as the 18-20 models. 

• Supporting Member

My riding buddy rode the 2017... all else looked the same as my 2015. Section 2-1 "General Specifications" in the service manual (for each model year) has identical figures. I don't see the swingarm listed separately anywhere, but the wheelbase is the same at 1440mm (56.7").

The 2015 and 2017 swingarm part numbers are different,  but that doesn’t mean the length is different, of course. Could be anything.

Not that it really matters at this point, but I’m intrigued all the same.  First order of business is a full suspension overhaul, and I never ride with passengers and rarely loaded for touring. 

• Like 2

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, theog said:

First order of business is a full suspension overhaul, and I never ride with passengers and rarely loaded for touring. 

Good decision.  A suspension makeover completely transforms this bike.  Any idea what company you are going to go with? 

I got correct springs and a revalve on the forks and a custom built Penske shock built from Traxxion Dynamics and couldn't be happier.  When swapping bikes with riding buddies, they are always impressed with the motor and suspension.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, theog said:

Stoltec. GP carts and Penske rear. 

Great choice.  It’s a massive improvement if you ride the bike with any level of ‘enthusiasm’.  

You’re going to love it 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, theog said:

I have heard nothing but good things about GP cartridges and can tell you from first hand experience that the Penske is FANTASTIC!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, theog said:

Nick at Stoltec was very helpful, even though I only bought his springs. I was very tempted by the GP carts... but ended up re-valving with a Race Tech kit instead up front. He offers a cart swap/re-valve too I think. I am sure you will really enjoy your new suspension.

• Thumbsup 1