Fuel mileage and driving modes

bguth33

I have a new Tracer and I am new to this forum. 
My question is, there are four driving modes. What’s the difference in fuel mileage between modes? 
I’m still experimenting with this but it appears like a 2-4 mpg loss between three and two modes. 
I rode first 800 or so in four then went to three then two. I have a little over 1000 miles on it.  
If you are only losing a few mpg that’s not bad. I come off a Roadmaster. It got around 36-37 on average. I’m getting high forties to just over fifty. It’s a big improvement. That’s running 65-70 most of the way to work. 
Thanks for any input. 

I usually ride in mode 2 as I'm in Chicago traffic a lot.  In town I get about 40 to 42 mpg. Mode 1 will burn a bit more gas and mode 3 feels like it's strangling the bike.  Forget about mode 4 (rain) it really cuts down your throttle response.

Out cruising on the highways I get between 45 to 50+ mpg keeping below 75 mph. 

My experience on my 2020 900GT was the big differences are speed, gas and elevation.  Shift points make a big difference as well.  The Tracer is great for being able to get great mileage in a pinch - shift early, keep speed down and avoid large throttle openings.  Spirited riding can tank mileage.  Most of the 28,000 miles I put on the bike were on long trips.  I could get as little as 40mpg at interstate speeds particularly into a headwind.  Interstate speeds ranged from 79 to 85 MPH.  Here in the south the enforced speed limit is 79mph.  Out west on 80mph roads I'd run 85 mph.  I mostly rode secondary roads and days spent running at 65 mph made a big improvement in mileage.  Ethanol free gas also increases mileage.  Last year went to Calgary Canada across Saskatchewan.  Think a lot of the gas was ethanol free but they seem to be getting more gas with ethanol.  If ethanol free was available I always bought it.  Higher elevations seemed to help fuel mileage as well - have wondered if it might be a combination of ethanol free and elevation.  

Different modes will affect how quickly the power is increased.  More power earlier means more fuel earlier.  As noted in the earlier comments the difference is not much.  When riding in remote areas keeping track of fuel and mileage and the distance to the next fuel station becomes important.  Nothing like rolling out of a town and it's 79 miles to the next gas station - and there are fun mountains ahead.  Fill up, don't worry and have fun riding.

• Thumbsup 1

I had the same results. Headwinds were a big factor in lower mpg and keeping below 70 resulted in improvement. I think at high altitude the FI system injects less fuel since the air has less oxygen. Better mpg but less hp.

• Thumbsup 1