Air temperature Censor

KCs09

So my air temperature on the dash is reading incorrect. It says -5*C when it is more like 16* in reality.  I figured a dead censor so I bought a new one, installed it and it still reads the same.  I don't see any wiring damage anywhere on the bike.  I just bought it in the summer but have gone over it pretty well.

The engine temperature seems to read correctly.

Any help would be welcomed

Thanks all.

• Supporting Member

If you have access to a multimeter you can check that the sensors are within specs: -

5.4 - 6.6 kohms at 0 C and 290 - 390 ohms at 80 C

You can immerse the probe part in a container of water to test at those temperatures.

If that tests OK then I'd be looking at your connections within the wiring.  i.e. plug/s all the way home and or electrical contacts within those plugs are clean and free from any corrosion.

Do you have an error number come up on your display when you turn the ignition on?  22 is the air temp error number.

.... better still, here is the diagnostic procedure from the service manual -  good luck and please report your finding.

Pray that it's not #6 !!

image.png.66de8fa0b08d212e54d7d597e4a35be3.png

image.png.0395b2af068726322cdfc0d376a09b4c.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!  I'm sure looking forward to a ride to/in your neck of the woods.

For the temp discrepancy, it seems likely one of the previous owners installed a BoosterPlug?  It tricks the ECU into thinking it's colder than it is, so the ECU compensates with a richer fuel mixture.  It's a quick n dirty way to "correct" or otherwise modify some fueling complaints about these early-gen bikes.

"Note: The Yamaha MT-09 series is using the same temperature sensor for the fuel injection calculations as for the temperature readout in the dashboard. (Most other brands have separate sensors). This means that your dashboard display will show 20°C / 35°F lower than actual ambient temperature when you install the BoosterPlug."

16C - 20 = -4, so that seems close to spec.

It's a good mod to have!  Looks like it should be behind the left panel.  Easy to find out.

• Thumbsup 5

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, knyte said:

Welcome to the forum!  I'm sure looking forward to a ride to/in your neck of the woods.

For the temp discrepancy, it seems likely one of the previous owners installed a BoosterPlug?  It tricks the ECU into thinking it's colder than it is, so the ECU compensates with a richer fuel mixture.  It's a quick n dirty way to "correct" or otherwise modify some fueling complaints about these early-gen bikes.

"Note: The Yamaha MT-09 series is using the same temperature sensor for the fuel injection calculations as for the temperature readout in the dashboard. (Most other brands have separate sensors). This means that your dashboard display will show 20°C / 35°F lower than actual ambient temperature when you install the BoosterPlug."

It's a good mod to have!  Looks like it should be behind the left panel.  Easy to find out.

Aha!  That's interesting.  Always something else to learn!

Thanks knyte. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, knyte said:

Thank you, I have had that left panel off to change the OEM censor and yes I think that is what is in there. It is so much fun opening that panel I will open it up again and take a second look with the new info.

Again thanks for the info and hope to see you on the coast some time.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Aha!  That's interesting.  Always something else to learn!

Thanks knyte. 👍

I take no credit.

Learnt it here from smarter ppl than I.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount