Throttle body sync

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Since my dealer did NOT do it. Wish me luck.
Please document with pictures and then come to my house to perform.  8-) I'll tap the keg for you.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Took about 2hrs for me to do. Took a few pics. May not have much for documentation, but 1 tip from a friend that was helpful. Made a minor airbox lid mod while I was in there too. Pics to follow
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

20150509_095729_zpst3otu4da.jpg

Turning the tank backwards with everything connected was a good idea a friend of mine suggested. The piece of foam is to protect the bike, although I'm sure towels would work.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

20150509_095736_zpsi7e2prgf.jpg

ECU removed and hanging. Note the air inlet on the top of the airbox at the front. More on that in a bit.
2015 Matte Grey

20150509_101904_zpsv7vm19kx.jpg

Airbox off, vacuum lines connected. The bypass screw for cyl #1 (far left in pic), is painted white. It is the reference, and the other two are to match its readings.
2015 Matte Grey

20150509_105223_zps4oaqxo5a.jpg

Ever the tinkerer, I noticed the airbox inlet tube was quite close to the bottom of the airbox. It used to be straight across, I cut 1in lower on the side nearest the air filter and angled it back to the uncut side which is right next the front of the box. I think this could help the air turn instead of slamming into the floor. Only the dyno will tell I guess.
2015 Matte Grey

Ever the tinkerer, I noticed the airbox inlet tube was quite close to the bottom of the airbox. It used to be straight across, I cut 1in lower on the side nearest the air filter and angled it back to the uncut side which is right next the front of the box. I think this could help the air turn instead of slamming into the floor. Only the dyno will tell I guess.
Very interesting.  Your theory certainly sounds logical.  Wonder why Yamaha wouldn't have done that if it is an improvement?  Look forward to hearing what your results on the dyno show.  If it's an improvement, that would be something anyone could easily do.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

20150509_095736_zpsi7e2prgf.jpg 
ECU removed and hanging. Note the air inlet on the top of the airbox at the front. More on that in a bit.Whenever I see a pic like this - a bike with all it innards hanging out - I cannot help but marvel at [em](a)[/em] the complexities of these modern-day bikes and given that [em](b)[/em] their (usual) utter reliability![em]Gobsmacked![/em]L of S

Did yours require any adjustment and what mileage? I just did my first at 2100 mi and no adjustment was required. 

1800kms. Was pretty close, was nitpicking really to make any adjustments, but since I had gone that far, I made small tweaks. I also noted however that just off idle there was a bit greater disparity than at closed throttle, so I took that into consideration as well.
2015 Matte Grey

I guarantee the big snorkel is for noise abatement.  Twenty bucks says cutting that thing an inch or less from the lid (and subsequent dyno reflash) will net 5-10 HP by itself (and will make the intake sound amazing).
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Possibly cutting that intake will net the improvement gregman noted. Or maybe not... at all. See Yamaha has a bunch of engineers whose job is it to get the most out of something, within the given parameters. Some times those parameters include noise and EPA regs that we typically care little about, so mucking around with stuff can yield real improvements. Other times bikes get all hacked up, and actually lose power.

Archived