Rear shock preload spanner

efjay

Spanner wrench for the rear shock that comes with the bike seems too thick to slip it underneath the shock for adjustment.  I can do it on top which is good for softening the preload but bottome is impossible for me. Is there a technique I don't know about?

• Premium Member
stick it in at an angle and use a finger behind the shock to align it - takes a bit of fiddling but once you have the knack...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Spanner wrench for the rear shock that comes with the bike seems too thick to slip it underneath the shock for adjustment.  I can do it on top which is good for softening the preload but bottome is impossible for me. Is there a technique I don't know about?
I had to switch from the right side of the bike, then the left side...and so on. You get about 1/2 a notch each side.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 3 years later...
Just to check with you guys that for those who are using aftermarket rear shocks, is it diffcult to adjust the preload as I see most if not all brands have the adjusting ring more inwards (nearer to the tank area) compare to stock ones.

• Supporting Member
Just to check with you guys that for those who are using aftermarket rear shocks, is it diffcult to adjust the preload as I see most if not all brands have the adjusting ring more inwards (nearer to the tank area) compare to stock ones.

I have the Penske 8983 which has both top and bottom adjustment.  Since the shock is custom built for you they ship it set "in the ballpark", once you install it you can fine tune preload with the bottom adjuster.

025_131220.jpg

FZ-09-shock.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have a Razor Lite. I found it easier to adjust the preload than the OEM shock, but still tedious. Occasionally I had to use a punch and hammer to move the adjusting ring just a little bit further before I could get the wrench to bite. If you use that approach be very gentle with the punch and hammer so you don't deform the lands on the adjusting ring.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Penske 8983 which has both top and bottom adjustment.  Since the shock is custom built for you they ship it set "in the ballpark", once you install it you can fine tune preload with the bottom adjuster.

025_131220.jpg

FZ-09-shock.jpg

That Penske sure is purdy......   I notice there is 33% less coil spring on the Penske also. Interesting, 4 coils instead of 6. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

FZ-09-shock.jpg

That Penske sure is purdy......   I notice there is 33% less coil spring on the Penske also. Interesting, 4 coils instead of 6. 

Yes, the Penske is a work of art, if you think it looks good, you should see how it feels when you are riding in a "sport" mindset!  Its like the harder you push it, the better it works.  I had one on my previous FZ1 as well.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived