I've Gone Nekkid

I'm on my 2nd day of ownership and over 200 miles now. I was looking for more sport than tourer, so the 1st thing I did was remove the hand guards. On a trip to dinner w/ my wife last evening, I felt like the screen in the lowest position was still blocking too much air, and what air I was getting was 'dirty'.  Soooo, the screen came off this morning and I went for a 50mi ride on the local back-roads....Just Right!  And, after 200miles, I finally discovered the A mode. Wow! This was the attitude I was looking for, yet comfortable enough for 2-up riding on short trips.
    It doesn't look quite finished from the front. Thinking about cutting an Ermaxx sport screen shorter to just cover the front side of the gauges. 
6EB0A323-B7E4-481B-B4CE-66F5EE14CD6E.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did the same.  It really cleaned up the air flow.  I have the MRA Xscreen sport.  It didn't do much to reduce the wind roar with the screen, but it does add a bit of "finish" to the front of the bike now that the stock screen is gone.  Would still like to find a screen that adds some protection without adding all the noise.

I've got the Ermaxx Sport on order. I may use it as a template, or just cut it down to try to refine this naked look. It really doesn't look bad the way it is now! Since most of my riding is slower back roads, and in the Georgia heat, no screen is the way for me.  However, anything over 80mph without a screen just isn't comfortable long-haul.

Trust me, the FZ was strongly considered. I had a Gen1 for 3yrs and loved it. However, the FJ is better in almost every way to the 2nd Gen FZ. Z1000 also, pillion comfort is non-existent. I find the FJ's riding position almost perfect, and most importantly, my wife thinks it's more comfortable as well. I'm much more interested in the Sport side of this sport tourer. It is a hooligan bike at heart and I've been having a blast running around town; already hit 88degrees and 90% humidity yesterday. No fairings for me!
Brian

Guest bmidd
Uhmmmm errrrrrrr why didn't you just save 2K and buy the FZ????
 Because the FZ doesn't sit upright. Because the FZ can't carry a passenger. Because the FZ can't carry luggage. 

Guest bmidd
Trust me, the FZ was strongly considered. I had a Gen1 for 3yrs and loved it. However, the FJ is better in almost every way to the 2nd Gen FZ. Z1000 also, pillion comfort is non-existent. I find the FJ's riding position almost perfect, and most importantly, my wife thinks it's more comfortable as well. I'm much more interested in the Sport side of this sport tourer. It is a hooligan bike at heart and I've been having a blast running around town; already hit 88degrees and 90% humidity yesterday. No fairings for me! Brian
I went nekkid on my last FZ1. It was a great bike and was my 2nd Gen1. First one had all motor mods and light suspension stuff. The nekkid one had cartridges up front and Racetech prepped R6 shock.  

DSC_0659_zpsb0818963.jpg

• Premium Member
Uhmmmm errrrrrrr why didn't you just save 2K and buy the FZ????
 Because the FZ doesn't sit upright. Because the FZ can't carry a passenger. Because the FZ can't carry luggage. 
They fixed the fueling, at least, for 2015 and you can even get it fixed under warranty if you have a 2014.  The suspension still sucks though. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Wow Fred, I had considered that route, but didn't think I could shape the plastic into a curve like you did. what's the best material you've used so far? 1/8" Lexan? From McMaster?
I really like the bottom shape of the Ermaxx. Since I don't have hand guards, I'm going to try for a wider screen. You just saved a new wind screen from getting chopped up ;-)

I tried lexan 1/8 and 6mm acrylic.

Lexan is shattered proof and cutable using scissors for sheet metal. It was the perfect material until i found out that it was not scratch proof. :(
I then tried acrylic, it is scratch proof but more brittle. I had good results with it.

Mcmaster sells dark smoked scratch proof lexan, i think that would be the best!
Shipping was too expensive for Canada...

i also preferred the fj09 ergo's and capability for passenger and luggage.  i like long trips and short, spirited rides and i only want one street bike... the fj09 seemed like the best place to start for that, for me.

i pulled the hand guards and screen and put in the yoshimura tail tidy and the customled integrated tail light as well as flush mount signals for the front.  i've got a powerbronze shorty dark screen on order, who knows when it will come.  just got my heated grips from the dealer today (two week wait, not bad... they gave me the pair they had ordered 8 months ago for their parts display wall).  

once that screen comes it'll be pretty closed to buttoned up.  in the future i'll probably get some fancy pants puig mirrors since the stock ones are now the widest point on the bike and i want to be as narrow as possible for lanesplitting.  i'm considering doing some crg levers or something but the clutch lever has softened up quit a bit since i got it so i am not too worried about it now.

some pics... sorry for the crummy quality, was getting to be around dusk.

20150519_202700-M.jpg

20150519_202800-M.jpg

20150519_202844-M.jpg

Archived