Seat Mods ?

• Premium Member
How much? Yahama sells a "soft" seat for $275 which I found annoying. Why didn't they put the right seat on the bike from the get go?
No mfg. puts the "right" seat on any bike. When you buy a bike you should always budget for comfort items (seats and windscreens) and suspension, no matter what bike you buy. This is probably my 30th motorcycle and I learned the lesson after #5. 
Oh, I dunno, of the bikes I've owned the seat quality has varied from "hell no!" (SV650S) to "great all day" (amazingly, the Daytona 675). 
Every bike has needed something, but what exactly the something was differed between them.

The most disappointing of the bikes I've owned was the SV650S.  That was a great bike, one of my favorites, but the suspension and seat were just crap and it needed the most effort and money to bring out its finest qualities.  Thankfully it was one of the cheapest bikes I've ever owned and worth the effort to make it shine.

The best was the Daytona.  There was nothing that was going to make that a good bike for touring, but other than adding Helibars it was a great bike right off the showroom floor.  Excellent seat and suspension.  There's a really good reason why I was looking at a Street Triple R to replace it -- same core bike, but sane ergos.

The FJ ... it's almost a contradiction in terms.  The seat isn't great, but it's good enough that I'm not begging for a break or dreading it after several long days.  The suspension isn't great, but it tracks pretty well and I can ride it pretty hard and it's only uncomfortable if the road is really broken up.  The windshield is its worst point, IMO, and only that because it's Just Too Loud.  Still, that's a $100 part and two minutes' work to change.  Then just get on and ride.  The rest of the stuff can be sorted out whenever, it works well enough.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest dmizer
That is technically a "comfort" seat, not necessarily a soft seat. I am told the foam is actually firmer. :-/
Contrary to common sense, if you want all day comfort over multiple days of touring, you don't want a soft seat. You THINK you want a soft seat but ultimately a soft seat gives you hot spots and you'll end up sitting on the seat pan.

• 4 weeks later...
For those that removed the plastic frame or cut the bumpers did you guys try to do anything to fix the wobble or floppy-ness of the seat with this mod? I ended up just taking the whole plastic frame that the seat sits on and the rear of it is quite loose now. It doesn't seem to affect anything once my big ass is planted on it, but I just want to make sure I'm safe with it.

Guest dmizer
For those that removed the plastic frame or cut the bumpers did you guys try to do anything to fix the wobble or floppy-ness of the seat with this mod? I ended up just taking the whole plastic frame that the seat sits on and the rear of it is quite loose now. It doesn't seem to affect anything once my big ass is planted on it, but I just want to make sure I'm safe with it.
There is a plastic brace underneath the seat. If you move from the lowest position to the high position, you have to also move the plastic piece. Watch this video:

There is a plastic brace underneath the seat. If you move from the lowest position to the high position, you have to also move the plastic piece. Watch this video:

Right... As I said, with the mod to remove the plastic frame(brace) and/or cut the bumpers down. I wanted to see if anyone did anything to fix the floppy seat after one or both of these mods made.

Has anyone tried a seat pad, like an airhawk? Instead of replacing the whole seat? Are these worth it and effective? Much cheaper then a seat and transferable.

I rode with an Airhawk on my FZ-09 while I waited for SC to come out before some azzhat stole it by cutting the straps and rendering it useless. Happened at the movie theater and I bet they heard me cussing for miles. Even worse, I did a security camera quote at that theater the month before and they bulked at the price so there was no video evidence.

It worked ok, much better than a stock seat.

But, they cost as much as a Seat Concepts front seat so .....

Guest dmizer
Right... As I said, with the mod to remove the plastic frame(brace) and/or cut the bumpers down. I wanted to see if anyone did anything to fix the floppy seat after one or both of these mods made.
Good question. Sorry I didn't follow you.

Archived