shoei GT-air reviewed

Guest spunrdneck

• Premium Member
I will give another point of view on the GT air as I had one for one week. This helmet fogs up like no other helmet I have ever had, every morning when it was cool like clockwork. It also has a dead zone of hot air by your face when things heat up. The top flows air great though. I also liked the inner shield, but the fogging and the hot zone made it a no go for me. Very different then the RF-1200 that I replaced it with. The RF-1200 is a bit quieter then the GT Air, probably due to the increased venting the GT Air has. Comfort was great with both helmets, but the RF-1200 has a sturdier/thicker visor that closes tighter. For me, the perfect helmet would be a helmet with the RF-1200 characteristics with the GT Air internal visor. Just my observations, YMMV.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest bmidd
I like my GT Air, got a great deal on it on Ebay for $365 shipped, new with tags. @ulewz did you try adjusting the mechanism on the visor to get it to close properly? My X12 was like that, it never would seal properly and would always whistle at the seal when I turned my head, they adjusted it where I purchased and never had a problem again.

• Premium Member
I like my GT Air, got a great deal on it on Ebay for $365 shipped, new with tags. @ulewz did you try adjusting the mechanism on the visor to get it to close properly? My X12 was like that, it never would seal properly and would always whistle at the seal when I turned my head, they adjusted it where I purchased and never had a problem again.
I never had a whistle, it just flexed bad when closing. Compare the visor differences between the two. The RF-1200 is much thicker with a lip on the ends to limit flexing. Not a deal ender for me like the dead air behind the visor in front of your face in hot weather. I think that is also why mine fogged up so easily. Not enough air flow. I really wanted to like the GT Air and was willing to pay the extra $100 over the RF-1200, but it did not measure up. I hope you have better luck with the air flow over the visor. Many on the web have experienced the same thing, but once again, the visor was great and the cooling on the top of your head is pretty good.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest bmidd
That was a bad issue with the Qwest too. I usually wear HJC RPHA10 helmets and bought this GT Air because no one else bid on it on eBay.I have about 3 in my rotation right now and I have grown attached to the Shoei because of the sunvisor, I wear glasses and can't wear sunglasses and don't like carrying an extra shield. I wouldn't buy the GT Air @ full retail, but it cost me no more than what I usually wear. My HJC is actually quieter, much lighter and flows way more air...but there's the sunvisor!

• Premium Member
$365 shipped is a smoking deal. I paid over $600 for mine, so it was an easy choice for me to return it.
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I'd have to agree with you ULEWZ. I replaced my XR1100 (RF1100?) with a GT-Air and I'm pretty disappointed. The venting is a lot worse and I get the same dead air around my face. The visor doesn't mist because of the pinlock insert but the edges that aren't covered by that do get misty. I feel like whenever I slow down I need to lift the visor to get some fresh air and be able to breathe. Never had that on the XR1100.
It's a shame you can't try before you buy really, but Shoei have let themselves down with this one.
I do like the sun shield but it is prone to fogging up so not always useful.

Is the RF1200 the NXR here in the UK?

• Premium Member
Yes the *new* RF1200 in the US is the same as the NXR in Europe - @johan was sporting a new NXR in Wales on the weekend and we compared it to my XR1100. Venting system seems more complex on the NXR and it comes with a new shape visor, which can be bought in the photo-chromic material.

For some reason the XR1100 was also known as the RF1200 in the US, despite having very different features.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have to say I do like the NXR. I believe it is lighter and has a lower profile than the GT-Air. It does not have an internal sun visor, but it vents very well. I cant say that it is much quieter than anything else - I also have a Shark Vision R and a Caberg Duke. The Shark becomes, for me, very uncomfortable in summer because of poor ventilation. The Caberg's ventilation is not so good when closed, but on my commute I like the fact that I can flip it up when stationary, riding slowly or stopping for fuel.

I have now taken delivery of my custom ear plugs from Ultimate Ear and with the plugs in noise is no issue. With the custom ear plugs (I have a Soundear with speakers as well as Filtered Plugs) I am no longer bothered by noise. So at this time I am not looking at replacing the screen and I am very happy with my helmets.

I wish I'd just got another xr1100. Did you think the nxr looked better than the xr1100 Wessie?

Another point about the gt air. I find the chin strap very uncomfortable compared the the xr. No idea why but rubs my throat sore. Even when I try keeping my neck buff between the strap and my skin.

Coming from an XR1100 as well, I'm pretty happy about it except one issue: the wind flow when the tinted visor is down is just super annoying, as anyone else experienced that as well?
As for the fogging, I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch because it's really not an issue on mine but a friend has the problem. On mine, really not and I've had it since early January.

What do you mean by annoying? I find the air coming through the front vent very limited. The xr used to blast air at my face, really nice on a hot day. The gt pushes it up across the visor which is better for when it's cold I suppose. It certainly keeps the visor clear but it's noisy with the vents open.
I don't think I've noticed a difference when the sun visor is down

I mean there's way too much air flowing under the sun visor, it has - on me and another friend confirmed - almost the same effect as riding with the main visor up, unless at very low speed. Maybe I got sensitive eyes but it makes mine cry like a baby...
Prior to the GT Air and the XR1100, I had a Schuberth C2 with a sun visor and didn't have the same problem.

Guest spunrdneck
Some folks have a dead air problem and some are having issues with too much air at the face... I wonder if these are size specific or if there are head shape issues? I feel mine flows air to the face well with the city setting on the shield and is good fully closed with just the vent open- I have zero fog issues and I don't use the breath guard. Pin lock mounted.

Archived