Hello from Oz,

I asked this question during the northern hemisphere winter and now I will ask it again as you northerners move into summer.  Are there any issues with excessive heat radiating of the engine - under the seat, up the front of your body or onto your legs?  I understand riding is uncomfortable in extreme temperatures but some bikes exacerbate this by literally 'cooking' their riders.  Are any of you getting cooked by this bike in the warmer weather?

• Premium Member
It's been in the 90's (F - low to mid 30's C) here in southern Arizona this week. I haven't noticed any excessive heat. I used to own a Buell Ulysses, and THAT gave off some heat in the summer. The Yamaha is nothing like that. I never felt any particular heat on my legs at all.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Athens/Greece, 33c ambient temp, heavy traffic in the city center... I was expecting to see a HI temp sign after 20 mins standing almost still, no wind, the fan came in at 106c several times and off at 100c, the bike performed as expected. Bike was giving out a lot of heat, but did not bothered me as it does not hits you in the legs nor the body, it comes evenly from the front and dissipates from the sides away from my body.

Hello from Oz, 
I asked this question during the northern hemisphere winter and now I will ask it again as you northerners move into summer.  Are there any issues with excessive heat radiating of the engine - under the seat, up the front of your body or onto your legs?  I understand riding is uncomfortable in extreme temperatures but some bikes exacerbate this by literally 'cooking' their riders.  Are any of you getting cooked by this bike in the warmer weather?
  We're still waiting for the summer in the UK >:D  ;) 

Hello from Oz, 

87 ferinhieght the other day. Being a goob headed down the highway I put my legs up on the engine covers like I was easy riding on some Highway pegs. Didn't even feel hot with jeans on.

Edit: I took the bike over to a friend's and we were actually marvelling at how well this engine dissipates heat, you can actually touch the engine when it's hott. It's warm, but it's not like touching an oven coil like my old gixxer was. They did a good job with keeping the heat inside the engine on this bike. Also wanted to add, I was sitting in traffic the other day in town on a warmer day(bout 82 ish if I remember) and my fan actually scared me when it came on, I had no idea the bike had gotten that hott, I felt no change in temp around me from the usual 160-180 running up to the 210-220 fan temp.

I did an almost 500 mile round trip in the last 48 hours. Some sitting in ttaffic in 86 Fahrenheit. My fan kicks on at 220f. What I noticed is I feel heat on my left leg after I sit and start moving. I beleive the water pump is on the left there and likely the heat i felt at takeoff but only for a few minutes.

My commute home today was 2 hours (bad traffic day) and about 1.5 of that was a mix of 25mph to stop and go. The fan always kicks on at around 221 and cools it down to about 210 after a min or so of running and shuts off. With it running this long in stop and go the fan kicked on a lot and yes the inside of my legs was getting hot just because there was no movement of air. The HD I owned was way worse off since it can't even cool itself!

In normal stop and go traffic on my daily commute I still heat up to where the fan has to kick on but usually not long enough for me to notice the heat through my jeans.

Yesterday it was extremely hot, 40 Celsius, the bike perform very well. it reached a steady 85c while riding at 130 Km/h.
on heavy traffic, the fan went in as usual at 105c and turned off at 100c
no surprises.

Stuck in stop-n-go traffic in downtown Atlanta. 90 degrees; I'd have to say it's one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden heat-wise. The plastic trim really keeps your legs away from any metal contact. When the radiator fan kicks on, I'm not sure where the air is going, but it's not on my legs ;-) Yamaha's done a great job with the fairing setup.
  My FZ-1 was a good bit more uncomfortable. My ST-1300 got downright Hot in the nether region...

Brian

Archived