Sprocket tooth count

peporter

• Premium Member
I've been looking in the service manual and the owners manual, and haven't seen anything about the front and rear tooth count. Anybody know offhand? And, I will be going to a 520 chain as soon as possible.

Stock is 16 / 45. In the specifications section it is listed as 

Secondary reduction ratio: 2.813 (45/16)
Just curious, why do you want to change chain size?
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

I've been looking in the service manual and the owners manual, and haven't seen anything about the front and rear tooth count. Anybody know offhand? And, I will be going to a 520 chain as soon as possible.
Front is 16 and rear is 45 teeth. 

• Premium Member
He must want to track his bike. The 520 chain is lighter for quicker acceleration, but at the expense of increased wear and longevity.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the info!  In reply to the 520 chain question, I do not plan to track it, and I have experience with going from 525 to 520 on my DL1000 V Strom. I really liked it, and the weight reduction was noticeable. I did not observe a decrease in chain life, it was about the same as the 525.  Loosing weight, be it the bike or the rider is a good thing for making things happen quicker, and I like quicker.

• 2 months later...
Ok, found and have new sprockets and a chain.  Can't find the size of the socket for the front sprocket nut.   I purchased the 27 mm for the rear axle nut.  Like to pick this up before I start disassembling.  Anyone have a socket size for me.  I couldn't find anything by doing a search or in the factory manual. 
Steve
Steve

Archived