Almost new owner from Nashville!

What's up everybody. I am trading my 2012 Speed Triple in on a new FJ and was wondering what you guys are doing for bags? I'm hoping there are other hard bag options out there other than Yamaha's. I will be doing bags, frame sliders/rails, Denalli lighting, heated grips, and who knows what else. I will probably be building it to be somewhat offroad capable also. I will be using the search tool as I'm sure you guys have done some research. I actually work for a Yamaha dealer and have exhausted all of my resources for this thing! haha, thanks and glad to be here.

Welcome to the forum. I've found the stock FJ-09 does remarkably well on gravel roads and such even with stock tires inflated for road use. It's not a KTM 690, but you can do still smoke BMW GS's on dry dirt and gravel. Suspension travel and ground clearance will be the limiting factors for "real" off-road.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
IMHO, the Yamaha HARD bags are well worth waiting for. I have had many sets of BMW hard bags in the past, exorbitantly priced as is everything BMW, and these Yamaha items are top-notch, every bit as solid and effective as anything out of Berlin...   Better still, they came included with the bike as part of the package here in Oz... L of S

What are you looking for in a bag? IMHO, the best option for this bike are the FJR bags. Unpainted for the Matte or color matched for the red. They are larger than the stock bags, look better and fit to the stock mounting points, making the cleanest look without bags of any option I've come across and you can key them to your ignition.. I found the unpainted FJR bags are cheaper than the stock bags at yocracing.com but the color matched ones are more. You may be able to get your local dealer to price match. You are going to have to wait for any Yamaha accessory though. You can find pictures and part numbers on the thread called "farkling along". I'm on my phone so it's more difficult to look up and link but it can be easily found with search. If for some reason you don't like those, there's options from Givi and Shad for hard bags. There may be others but those are brands I've seen pictures of on the bike, which is an important factor for me, YMMV. Your tail end is going to look like a plumber's nightmare with any of the aftermarket hard bags. There's also many soft bags available.

What are you looking for in a bag? IMHO, the best option for this bike are the FJR bags. Unpainted for the Matte or color matched for the red. They are larger than the stock bags, look better and fit to the stock mounting points, making the cleanest look without bags of any option I've come across and you can key them to your ignition.. I found the unpainted FJR bags are cheaper than the stock bags at yocracing.com but the color matched ones are more. You may be able to get your local dealer to price match. You are going to have to wait for any Yamaha accessory though. You can find pictures and part numbers on the thread called "farkling along". I'm on my phone so it's more difficult to look up and link but it can be easily found with search. If for some reason you don't like those, there's options from Givi and Shad for hard bags. There may be others but those are brands I've seen pictures of on the bike, which is an important factor for me, YMMV. Your tail end is going to look like a plumber's nightmare with any of the aftermarket hard bags. There's also many soft bags available.
One poster stated the OEM matte black FJR bags are NLA. He left a deposit and his dealer ordered them. Then was notified they were no longer produced or available.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

One poster stated the OEM matte black FJR bags are NLA. He left a deposit and his dealer ordered them. Then was notified they were no longer produced or available.
I didn't see that post. Quite concerning as I haven't ordered mine yet.

Awesome info guys! I'm so glad to hear you all like the factory yamaha bags. I was concerned I wouldn't like them for the money. I was wanting a beefier more adv style and had looked into the FJR bags like you stated. I will probably end up going with the Yamaha fj bags. I've already found so much good info on here, thank you.

• 8 months later...
A quick update on the bike and bags...
So I sold my truck and have ridden almost every day since June. Why not? I've always wanted to do it. So I have worked out of, traveled, and ridden the piss out of my new bike. I love it! The factory bags I got are actually really great. I haven't seen one yet that I liked more or wished I had gotten instead. They are holding up well and I did not get a rear luggage rack, but did throw a cargo net over the back grab rails that make for amazing hooks for the net. The only things driving me nuts are the herky jerky throttle response and the super light front end, so I'm planning an exhaust/flash, and a GPR stabilizer for the future. Cheers

Archived