New Tracer 9 Owner from CT

Hi all, I’m a newbie to this site from Waterford, CT. Just picked up a new (leftover) 2022 Tracer 9 GT that I’m looking forward to getting very familiar with. I’m a retired engineer, been riding for 55 years, started out riding Yamaha enduro dirt bikes, then several Honda street bikes, settled on the Honda VFR and rode a couple of those for 18 years. Wanted something bigger and more comfortable, so moved to a Kawasaki Concours 1400 for the last 14 years. The C14 is an amazing bike (even did a few track days on it!) but as I get older, I was getting tired of the 675-pound weight. So, the circle is complete – I’m back to the Yamaha family on a much lighter and hopefully more fun Tracer. I look forward to learning from the wisdom of this group, and will help out whenever I can.

Out with the old and in with the new!

Current Left1.jpg

2022 Tracer 9 GT.jpg

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

Welcome! You'll enjoy the T9GT!

I still have my C14 (1st gen), an '08 with a lot of farkles and mods. I agree the weight and older tech is starting to wear on me. But I appreciate the shaft and electric windshield over the Tracer. Looks like yours is a newer 2nd gen, what year? I'm assuming you traded it in for the Tracer, or did you sell it separately? There's a few of us from the COG site that now have a Tracer, so its good to see folks on this site too!

Cheers!

• Thumbsup 1

Hey Robzilla, 

Thanks for the welcome, I didn't expect to find other COGgers here!  Mine is a 2010, and heavily farkled as well (that's half he fun!). And I will miss the shaft drive and TPMS and that amazing motor, but it was time for a change...  I was thinking the other day that I need to buy some chain lube for he first time in 14 years 😞    I was planning to sell it privately, as I assumed the dealer would not want such an old bike, but they offered a reasonable amount in trade so I just made it easy for myself and did the trade. 

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome from another ex cogger. My history is similar to yours, started ona 72 Honda XL250, 10 years on a VFR then 4 Concours; an 86,  2 08s and an 09. Close to 300,000 miles on the 3 C14s two of which were totaled in accidents and the 09 a blown motor. Enjoying my 22 Tracer9GT, love the power and nimbleness. I do miss the shaft and the windshield and TPS but installed a Tutoro auto chain oiler that is working well.

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks for the welcome lather! Yes, it looks like we have very similar biking histories.  I will miss the shaft drive and TPMS and the awesome power of the C14 as well, but it's time to move on and I'm expecting the T9 to provide some fun. I'll look into the Tutoro - I haven't had to do chain maintenance for 14 years, so some help on that would be a good addition.

2 hours ago, Tim Anderson said:

I'll look into the Tutoro - I haven't had to do chain maintenance for 14 years, so some help on that would be a good addition.

The following thread has info on Tutoro and Scottoiler

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the welcome motochick!  I bought my 2010 C14 new as well, back in the day... I'm already working thru all the forum topics and contemplating what mods and farkles I may want to do on the Tracer, as I'm sure you are doing too!  🙂 

Also, love your track day profile pic... I have a few of those as well...

Edited by Tim Anderson
Additional line.

6 hours ago, Tim Anderson said:

Also, love your track day profile pic... I have a few of those as well...

Turn 2 "Andretti Hairpin" at Laguna about 10 years ago. Was spoiled living in CA with so many great tracks!

Welcome to the forum, and your new Tracer is better in every way "IMHO" over the C14. I had an 08 that I bought new that same year, I kept it for 4 years but was my least favorite bike I ever owned for several reasons.