Engine Cutting Out

guernsey70

Hi,

I think I've seen this subject on the forum, but I can't find it. Anyway, my issue has only just started. It's happened twice now, once when I was revving the engine to make a car driver realise I was on the inside (filtering) and once this morning whilst I was riding down the street at about 30mph in 3rd gear - the engine simply cut out and I had to pull across two lanes of traffic to try and get it going again.

If anyone else has had this happen and has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

G70

• Premium Member
it happened to @johan in Wales - he found his ignition switch was sticky if the key wasn't pushed fully home. The switch was then not locked in the on position and eventually with the vibration, the key rotated into the off position.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I've had it happen twice, first was also cutting across motorway traffic. In my case I have discovered the reason, I have the top box and pannier keys as well as a gate fob and a faux leather tab from the dealer on my key ring. I am now conscious of making sure the items are all on the lower side of the ignition (closest to the tank), I found if they 'flopped' over to the top side of the ignition the weight and bulk was turning the key off.

I've had it happen twice, first was also cutting across motorway traffic. In my case I have discovered the reason, I have the top box and pannier keys as well as a gate fob and a faux leather tab from the dealer on my key ring. I am now conscious of making sure the items are all on the lower side of the ignition (closest to the tank), I found if they 'flopped' over to the top side of the ignition the weight and bulk was turning the key off.
I just use a quick release connector for my key so I don't have a bunch of crap hanging off the ignition.  Highly recommended.
//QED

I have had it happen at least 5x's since I bought it in July. The 1st 3 instances happened at the same stop sign driving very conservative and the key was bare with nothing attached to it. I pull in the clutch, hit start and off we go again. Would really like to know the cause because its annoying my/our new bikes cant stay running.

I also have a noisy cam chain tensioner and am beginning to wonder if they are related.

• Premium Member
it happened to @johan in Wales - he found his ignition switch was sticky if the key wasn't pushed fully home. The switch was then not locked in the on position and eventually with the vibration, the key rotated into the off position.
Correct, definitely related to the key not being fully locked in the on position. I think because the ignition is not in the most comfortable place it is easy to not turn it fully on, especially if you have a bunch of keys, remote fobs etc attached to it. I now carry my remote separately in a pocket, but this weekend I'll stick a piece of velcro on the tank (actually on the plastic cover where the headset fits) to stick my remote to. Winter gloves and zip fasteners and pockets cause frustration. 

• Premium Member
Correct, definitely related to the key not being fully locked in the on position. I think because the ignition is not in the most comfortable place it is easy to not turn it fully on, especially if you have a bunch of keys, remote fobs etc attached to it. I now carry my remote separately in a pocket, but this weekend I'll stick a piece of velcro on the tank (actually on the plastic cover where the headset fits) to stick my remote to. Winter gloves and zip fasteners and pockets cause frustration. 
you have a lot of faith in Velcro :) 
I keep my roller door fob in my pocket (it's not waterproof anyway)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I'm also going to put the fairing of a Honda Goldwing on. Weatherproof and no more wind noise. I've also reliably been told it will cure the 6th gear whine and the dreaded head shake.

• Premium Member
I'm also going to put the fairing of a Honda Goldwing on. Weatherproof and no more wind noise. I've also reliably been told it will cure the 6th gear whine and the dreaded head shake.
you need to keep that inner old fart at bay

• Premium Member
you need to keep that inner old fart at bay
Few more glasses of South African red and the fart will out. Probably mid-flight which will certainly please my fellow travellers no end, always helps to sleep on the overnight from Jo'burg.

• Premium Member
Now that it's a bit cooler, I'm going to have that bottle of 1er cru Burgundy that Stu slipped into my luggage.

Archived