FJ09 New Battery recommendations

so due to a recent New Home move, i had to store my bike in a storage facility. i did not have the chance to ride for a month or so, and now my battery is dead...

like really dead... and i dont want to try recharging and such.

for our bikes, and Motorcycles in general, is there aftermarket batteries with any benefits over the stock?

anyone with ideas or knowledge on batterys for our bikes, and experience with a their battery?

just need some help choosing and ordering a new battery

• Premium Member
Why not charge the battery? The OE battery is of AGM construction and was initially designed to be used in deep discharge applications such as wheelchairs and to be leakproof if the wheelchair tipped over.

To recover an AGM battery from deep discharge you need a charger than can deliver a fixed current to get the process going. These are readily available. Alternatively, connect the discharged battery to a fully charged battery and connect up your standard charger. Once the charger is up & running, disconnect the second battery.

If you really do want a new battery, then search for YTZ10S and make sure you get an AGM battery as this can be mounted on its side as it is leakproof. There are dozens of makes around. I would generally stick to a known brand. In Europe, these would be Hawker Odyssey, Motobatt, Exide, Yuasa, Varta, Westco. You will have others in your home area. Over here, the Yuasa replacement identical to that fitted by Yamaha is about a third to half more expensive than a perfectly good one from a decent make. The Yuasa battery has 190 CCA (cold cranking amps) so this is the figure to aim for - cheaper batteries may only provide 150 and that can make a difference in a cold climate.

If you do a search, there was a recent thread on the supposed benefits of a Lithium Ion battery. Unnecessary in my view but YMMV.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have mentioned this in another post, but on Sunday, after three weeks my battery was dead. This is in my opinion unusual, but I have fitted a satellite tracking device that records the bike's position every few minutes or so and I suspect it is this device that drained the power. The battery was not completely dead, but it would not crank the engine, and as soon as I tried to crank the tracking device generated a text message to my mobile phone warning that the battery was disconnected. Of course this happened as the started drained all the power from the battery. I push the bike and it started as soon as I let the clutch out. The ABS warning light did not go out when I reached 6 mph as usual; it only went out after I switched the ignition off and restarted. I rode the bike for about three miles before I tried the battery again and by then it had recharged. If the battery is completely dead the alternator may not deliver enough power to run the fuel injection so it may not be that easy in your case. Nevertheless I would follow Wessie's advice - maybe try to jump start it by using a fully charged battery?

so due to a recent New Home move, i had to store my bike in a storage facility. i did not have the chance to ride for a month or so, and now my battery is dead... 
like really dead... and i dont want to try recharging and such.

for our bikes, and Motorcycles in general, is there aftermarket batteries with any benefits over the stock?

anyone with ideas or knowledge on batterys for our bikes, and experience with a their battery?

just need some help choosing and ordering a new battery

Easy answer....

http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=222437&model=224212&year=224212

• Premium Member
Yeah, don't over think it. Hook up a Battery Tender for a few hours and you'll probably be fine. Try to keep one on it when not used for more than a week or so. Alternatively, I have a Shorai battery in my 990 Adventure that sometimes sits for months in a shed with no electricity, so no Battery Tender. The Shorai does not self discharge nearly as fast as a regular battery. The bike has always started for me, and that relatively high compression V-twin requires some amps to turn over. Shorai is a little slower to start when the temps get down in the 40s, but it still does it. Weighs almost nothing too.
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

Archived