Anybody have a rattle?

nihilist

After installing my heated grips, I had a day of flawless riding.

The following day, I started hearing a rattle.  It is rpm dependent, and I thought it might be a screw that came loose related to removing the fairings to do the wiring, or something out of place or not properly secured.  I took off the fairings and tested and the rattle remains, no loose bolts, nothing.

It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the bike, somewhere between the gearbox and the top of the right most cylinder.  Oddly, the rattle suddenly stopped today when I shifted into 5th gear, and then stayed absent for most of the drive.  Near the end of the drive it started creeping back in, but not nearly as loud as before. 

I'm not exactly a mechanical genius so I'm at a loss of what to do.  Has anyone experienced something similar, or have any suggestions of what to do next? I'm super OCD (figuratively) and I simply cannot abide by this rattle.
//QED

Check and make sure the bottom of the "wing" fairing is hooked on the tab at the bottom. That is in the right area, and, given that the wing fairings are pushed in aerodynamically, it makes sense that it would stop at higher speeds. You can also push lightly in on the fake carbon panel under the tank, there's a plastic hook and loop fastener a few inches back from the front that is difficult to get seated correctly.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• Premium Member
After installing my heated grips, I had a day of flawless riding. 
The following day, I started hearing a rattle.  It is rpm dependent, and I thought it might be a screw that came loose related to removing the fairings to do the wiring, or something out of place or not properly secured.  I took off the fairings and tested and the rattle remains, no loose bolts, nothing.

It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the bike, somewhere between the gearbox and the top of the right most cylinder.  Oddly, the rattle suddenly stopped today when I shifted into 5th gear, and then stayed absent for most of the drive.  Near the end of the drive it started creeping back in, but not nearly as loud as before. 

I'm not exactly a mechanical genius so I'm at a loss of what to do.  Has anyone experienced something similar, or have any suggestions of what to do next? I'm super OCD (figuratively) and I simply cannot abide by this rattle.
It's probably the Cam Chain Tensioner(CCT). It's been problematic on this engine since it's introduction in the FZ-09. Yamaha has introduced different revisions of this part along the way and the frequency of reports seems to have diminished. That being said, simply take your bike into your local dealer and have them replace it with the latest revision. There are also aftermarket offerings of this part from APE that receive excellent reviews.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

@clint, I think you might be onto something. It seems to have stopped for the moment, but I'll talk to my dealer about the possibility that the CCT needs replacing. I'm not sure how warranty coverage works with these things, and don't want to be on the hook for them to take it apart and put it back together without doing anything.
//QED

• Premium Member
Most rattles don't last long around here.

They usually get thrown just before a dummy is spat and the owner flounces.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

That's what one gets for buying the cheap plastic rattles @wessie no substitute for a proper wooden one, no tears and no dummy contests ::)

When reading the symptoms, I did wonder if it was the cam tensioner. I can't say for the US market, but in Europe all of the engines were fitted with the latest tensioner, recalls were made on the MT-09 Naked (FZ-09). I agree with @clint, ask the dealer to take a look, hopefully it doesn't decide to keep quite whilst in the workshop.

So the rattle has up and stopped. If it starts again, I'll try to record it.

I was able to hear the rattle while stationary, however it got much louder under load and more audible with the clutch pulled in. I also drove it around the block with all the right fairings removed so it's definitely not the fairings.
//QED

• 2 years later...
Most rattles don't last long around here.  
They usually get thrown just before a dummy pacifier is spat and the owner flounces.
There you are... fixed it for you.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived