Display question

I asked the same question on the french forum when I got my FJ and it looks like it's the case on all of them.
Apparently, the 2 screens are using different types of LCD technology.
The fact that lots of people also think it's not normal reassures me though ;-)
Looks like Yamaha tried to save another penny here.

Here's mine:
img20150618190639.jpg

• Premium Member
I asked the same question on the french forum when I got my FJ and it looks like it's the case on all of them. Apparently, the 2 screens are using different types of LCD technology.
The fact that lots of people also think it's not normal reassures me though ;-)
Looks like Yamaha tried to save another penny here.

Here's mine:
img20150618190639.jpg

QFT.  
I noticed the difference and my assumption is that the left side is a much faster and more expensive display to support the tach function etc. That isn't necessary for the secondary info screen. The resolution and fonts are not close.

The left side is a custom LCD, specific for the application.  It's smooth and sharp because the LCD elements are shaped to specific purpose. 
The right side is a bitmapped display.  This is far more flexible - software alone controls what you see - but you pay for that in update time and since it has relatively poor resolution also in blockiness.

For best flexibility you could build the whole display out of a single bitmapped panel but that is more expensive, especially to get rid of the lag time.  Some manufacturers are already doing that; I think even Yamaha on the R1 (but I haven't seen one in person so I might be wrong).

Using two panels is a compromise, but I think a good one.  Most of the information is on the custom panel and is highly readable and reactive.  Secondary information is on the slower panel, and its flexibility means the only limit to text and graphics are the imagination of the software guys.

Regarding the font used on the secondary panel, the only complaint I have is that the decimal point is a single pixel.  That's really hard to read.  I'm constantly mistaking 29.7 for 297, for instance.  They should change it to use 4 pixels.  This is a really minor nit, though; all numbers with decimal points always have the same precision so if you know it in advance there is no ambiguity.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Regarding the font used on the secondary panel, the only complaint I have is that the decimal point is a single pixel.  That's really hard to read.  I'm constantly mistaking 29.7 for 297, for instance.  They should change it to use 4 pixels.  This is a really minor nit, though; all numbers with decimal points always have the same precision so if you know it in advance there is no ambiguity. 

This on gets me every tank.  I go into the reserve, which I figure is good for 30 miles or so.  Looking down I see 28 and have a heart attach.  Then further look shows it's really 2.8 and I have plenty of fuel.  Gotta mind the point ;-)

• Premium Member
Regarding the font used on the secondary panel, the only complaint I have is that the decimal point is a single pixel.  That's really hard to read.  I'm constantly mistaking 29.7 for 297, for instance.  They should change it to use 4 pixels.
This on gets me every tank.  I go into the reserve, which I figure is good for 30 miles or so.  Looking down I see 28 and have a heart attach.  Then further look shows it's really 2.8 and I have plenty of fuel.  Gotta mind the point ;-)
Hah!  I usually use the odo for calculating mileage and jump on it before it goes to reserve, but yea, now that you mention it that got me once too when I hadn't been paying attention to fuel all week while commuting and looked down and.... 
Back a few years when my eyes were sharp I wouldn't have had any trouble with it, but now that I wear glasses for distance I can't focus on fine detail on the dash anymore.  In any case this is so obvious that it surprises me that Yamaha didn't notice it before it went into production, much less by the time they started shipping the *second* bike with that display.

I wonder if the dash is re-flashable.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi to all i just have my tracer 3 days and was wondering is it normal for the right side of the instruments where the air temp etc is to be dim and faded comparing to where the speedo and rev side  is located which clear and brighter  thanks for any help with this question
Same issue on my right side display in warm (hot) direct sunlight. Long ride in the cooler weather yesterday and I noticed the right panel appears to have a slightly different contrast.  Adjust the brightness up and down as suggested but still no change.  Has anyone gone back to the dealer with this yet?

4142621.jpg

• 2 months later...
Mine does a similar thing but doesn't go completely black like the ones above.

Does seem to be more prominent on hotter days or when parked up in the direct sunlight for the day. It does dissipate after a little while though, the Tenere seems to have a similar issue.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived