Gear shifter lever

webphisher

I would like to see some aftermarket foot control levers that aren't complete reassess at $800 a set. If anyone has seen any or successfully installed, I would be grateful for some more info.
There are some cheap (~$50) adjustable gear levers on Aliexpress.  I have not tried them, you can be the guinea pig !

I'll check em out, thanks! I just noticed my typo from earlier, damn auto correct. Rearsets is what I meant.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, Suncoaster, nice catch there! Those gear levers look really nice for that price. It looks to me like they solve the problem of the lever being too short or long. And the bike already allows for up and down adjustment - just remember that the bottom locknut is a reverse thread - I forgot momentarily when I adjusted it yesterday. Now my Sidi boots fit comfortably and the shifter "resets" properly to allow for proper gear changes both up and down. Sometimes just a quarter turn makes all the difference!!

At least that's what she said.....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

DesertFJR offered: "Tracer Shift Lever It's $28.99 plus $8.00US economy shipping..."

The price is now down to $27.54 - sounds like it's time to jump in....w00t!!  Just remember that the seller is away on holiday until Feb. 13, causing a delay in fulfillment...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
I haven't installed one yet...but don't think it will be that hard. When I get a chance I will take a look at mine and see how bolts need to be removed to replace it. At most the aluminum bracket that holds it will need to be removed.
The bolt enters from the back, near the muffler. Not much room there to manuever, so you have to go at it with an "L" hex wrench. You'll need to put some serious torque on it, as they used thread lock when installed. Had to use my foot on it for the first few turns. There wasn't enough room for my 3/8 rachet with hex bit. Also, the eBay shifter will need to be angled UP more than OEM, otherwise it will contact the spring on the sidestand. Don't worry, it looks higher, but the contact point with your boot for shifting remains the same. Don't forget to transfer the rubber cover from the OEM shift rod pivot mount. 1a80cf46-acd4-4806-9d5d-011c00461960_145.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I haven't installed one yet...but don't think it will be that hard. When I get a chance I will take a look at mine and see how bolts need to be removed to replace it. At most the aluminum bracket that holds it will need to be removed.
The bolt enters from the back, near the muffler. Not much room there to manuever, so you have to go at it with an "L" hex wrench. You'll need to put some serious torque on it, as they used thread lock when installed. Had to use my foot on it for the first few turns. There wasn't enough room for my 3/8 rachet with hex bit. Also, it will need to be angled UP more than OEM, otherwise it will contact the spring on the sidestand. Don't worry, it looks higher, but the contact point with your boot for shifting remains the same.  1a80cf46-acd4-4806-9d5d-011c00461960_145.jpg

It looked to me like an "L" hex wrench would have to be cut down to clear, but I was hoping there was an easier way.  The angle grinder has been getting a workout these days. I ground down the mounting bosses on the S Ten footpegs, and they mounted up just fine. Still can't get the springs hooked on the bike side, but they work just fine anyhow. Also just finished up the oil pan mod. Looks like the angle grinder will be going back on the shelf for a bit......until you guys come up with some more mods.  

• Premium Member
It looked to me like an "L" hex wrench would have to be cut down to clear, but I was hoping there was an easier way.  The angle grinder has been getting a workout these days. I ground down the mounting bosses on the S Ten footpegs, and they mounted up just fine. Still can't get the springs hooked on the bike side, but they work just fine anyhow. Also just finished up the oil pan mod. Looks like the angle grinder will be going back on the shelf for a bit......until you guys come up with some more mods.

It's tight and takes some finesse, but the spring does fit. It will actually bind a bit at first, but a squirt of lithium or penetrating grease makes it perfectly smooth! If you continue to struggle with it, apply more beer.  (rofl)
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived