My Track day Experience on my F-Jay

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
Today I took the F-Jay to a trackday on the big track at Willow springs. It was able to keep up with most slower 600s on the long straight away, but I got rolled by a triumph 675. With my suspension mods, the bike did fantastic. My only issue was upshifting at 120mph and got a little wobble. Easily remedied by shifting a little slower and/or leaning forward. Not a big wobble, just a smidge. The Dunlop RoadSmart II tires did fairly well, and only slipped once. Found out the rear tire pressure had grown to 45psi. I quickly corrected that pressure down and had no further slipping. Oh, I got up to 130mph indicated on the front straight.
4069871.jpg

4069872.jpg

4069873.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Nice. I did a track day at New York Safety Track with stock D222 tires and andreani fork kit. The bike did really well, no complaints. I didn't push too hard in turns, not trusting the tires. Some 600's were upset to passed by an old guy, I hit 127mph, no wobble, no ill handling. Abs was making rear wheel chirp, but bike stayed smooth. Can't wait to try again with sticky tires.

• Premium Member
Nice. I did a track day at New York Safety Track with stock D222 tires and andreani fork kit. The bike did really well, no complaints. I didn't push too hard in turns, not trusting the tires. Some 600's were upset to passed by an old guy, I hit 127mph, no wobble, no ill handling. Abs was making rear wheel chirp, but bike stayed smooth. Can't wait to try again with sticky tires.
My friends have been raving about the Dunlop Q3 tires. I might try them next. I loved the Q2 tires on my R1 when I had it. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Did you grind the center stand or pegs ?
I bet it was fun coming out of corners, I love this engine for just that but with stock suspension I won't consider track time with it. Heck...a sport weekend in Arkansas showed weakness.
Looks good out there

• Premium Member
Did you grind the center stand or pegs ? I bet it was fun coming out of corners, I love this engine for just that but with stock suspension I won't consider track time with it. Heck...a sport weekend in Arkansas showed weakness.
Looks good out there
No, not at all, but I have Andreani fork cartridges and a Penske rear shock. Was very fun, but I wish I had my R1 for the straights.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Good for you ULEWZ! Did the peg feeler gages get ground down a lot? Q3's are excellent tires. Have them on my Daytona 675 and absolutely love them
Cheers
Probably if I had them installed. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Let's get to the important part: did you get a knee down? I kid, I kid. 
And, at least those straights weren't as bad on the FJ as on a first gen SV :)
No, but my son did on his CBR600rr. You have ridden with me Jon, I'm fast, but not super fast. Ok, actually I am slow, but not real slow. eyes_zpsjv0eqh58.gif 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I like the idea of a track day, but lets get to the important stuff. Those red head light covers are the trick. Where do we get them? ;)

4075722.jpg

290  If you resize these pics to 800x it works better. JMO.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 2 weeks later...
I recently did a track day at the Ridge Raceway in Shelton WA.  I was very impressed with the bike both on and off the track.  I was one of the few guys that rode my bike to the track, most guys had trailed their rides.  I was very impressed with how solid the bike felt on the track all day.  it was about 28 degrees Celsius (82 F) all day the bike was bullet proof all day long.  I used about a half a tank and all my buddies had to fill up twice with their trailed bikes.  I rode with an RC51 and a Blackbird all day and was able to keep up and even pass the RC a couple of times.  

The best part was riding the crap out of the FJ all day, then jumping on it and riding it home for 4 hours after words, without doing anything except striping off the tape.  That day really soimg]lidified what a great and[img] versatile bike the FJ is.  

Ridge%202_zpsnizo26ru.jpg

ridge%204_zpsoch05tyu.jpg

• Premium Member
For future reference for anybody doing a track day. Pull two fuses and the turn signals, brake lights, and headlight will not show through the tape (the circuits will be open). Under the front right removable panel (held on by quick disconnect fasteners), remove the Headlight fuse #2 and Signaling system fuse #5, see attached. Both are 7.5 amp fuses. Then place the fuses in one of the spare fuse slots that have no contacts. A gentle squeeze using needle nose pliers works great to remove them.
4102357.jpg

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived