Driving Lights

kimmie

I'm thinking of installing either 2x 20W or 2x 30W LED driving lights.

Does anybody know how much spare power is available. I run a GPS and OEM heated grips only.

Thanks in advance.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Kimmie, from this thread: http://fj-09.org/thread/689/alternator-output

"Charging Output: 415 watts max. Battery: 12V 9.1AH"

But that is only the total, not what is left over. A bit more than that F800, but not much.

You'll still need the lights because of where and how far you ride. The grips are an essential.

Install a voltmeter at the same time (eBay $5.00 gets a waterproof one) and that can guide you. A dual battery set-up with twin light-weight lithiums and an isolator/controller is an option.

And a tip regardless of the charging capacity: do not, I repeat do not turn the bike off on some deserted road in the middle of the night when you have been running all of the sparkly farkles for hours on end. That's from experience :'(

Thanks OX.

As you well know the lights are essential and would like to have them for Armidale. 

And a tip regardless of the charging capacity: do not, I repeat do not turn the bike off on some deserted road in the middle of the night when you have been running all of the sparkly farkles for hours on end. That's from experience :'(
I remember that story........great ride & report though. Yes, note to self made! 
The voltmeter is a good idea too (came in useful on Angel too). Guess it could be a suck it and see situation.

After I wired in my 2X 10W LED driving lights and my accessory plug that I plug my 75+/- Watt Synergy heated vest and my aftermarket heated grips , I wanted to be sure that running both would not over load my alternator and dig into the battery. So I wired up my Digital volt meter into my powered tank bag and went for a ride. At cruising RPM my system voltage (measured at my fuse block under the seat) measured 13.8 volts running the Synergy jacket, the heated grips on 'LO' and the driving lights. Even at idle with external loads applied the voltage did not drop below 13. So I think the FJ-09 alternator has considerable excess capacity.

My estimate of additional electrical load I added:

20 watts for lights
36 watts for heated grips
75 watts for jacket

That's about 130 watts with no problems.

YMMV

Thanks Snowflake. Seems I should be right, but will look to invest in a voltmeter in any case (small price for insurance).

The lights have arrived, just have to wait for Karl (hubby) to install them for me.

Will post a pic once the job is done.

I'd imagine the bike has at the very minimum 150 watts of additional power available before you'll start to eat into the battery, there has to be that kind of headroom in the system to keep the battery topped off.

A pair of 20w lights probably won't affect the system at all. That's actually what I was looking at doing next- I'm with you on the dark back roads, it gets really dark out here at night without a moon...

Archived