Is first gear too tall?

• Premium Member
I find that the gearing is perfectly fine when running in STD riding mode. However, when in "A" mode you have to be more careful starting out and also going through low-speed turns in 1st gear. 
One of the things that swayed the decision for me in favor of the FJ-09 compared to the Tiger 800 was the gearing. The Yammy had:

15% lower 1st gear
7-8% lower 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears
5% lower 5th gear
1% higher 6th gear

I don't like a tall 1st gear but I do like a tall 6th gear. The Yammy also has a higher redline, more overall torque, and more top-end power (115 hp vs. 95 hp).

So, if you think the FJ-09 has a tall first gear, try the Triumph Tiger 800 on for size. :)
Yes I'm on the Tiger 800 now and first gear is definitely tall.  I killed it from a standing start a few times right after I bought it.  Since then I've learned to feather the clutch and match the revs but I still have to "think" about it.  I hope the FJ-09 is better than that.  I hope it gives off less radiant heat than the Tiger as well!!Is this "Invisible Roads" James Ford? If so, I get your email newsletter and am looking forward to participating in one of your workshops in the coming months. The FJ would seem to be an ideal bike for such an experience. 

• Premium Member
Funny, the gearing is fine for me. I split lanes with this bike and have no problems, except the wide crash bars. I will check it out further when I ride next.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived