Female rider survey

Hey all, I've been shopping for a new bike for my bride and was wondering how many female riders own this particular bike. I know its a new style for Yamy but so far what I have seen and read , it looks like a dandy. I have been riding for over 44 yrs ,,,, yikes!,,, and if I get this for her , I hope she lets me ride it. My wife is very fit and athletic, 5'-5" in height. I am concerned about the height of the bike for her. I will get her proper schooling this spring and plenty of practice before any off roading. We live in Col. so awesome riding everywhere. Thanks in advance for your replies! Pete

What has she ridden before? I am only 5'6", and only moderately athletic, and I handle the FJ-09 fine with the lower optional seat. But at that height, she will alyays just use the left foot to hold up the bike. Even with the low seat, she won't be able to reach the ground with both at once unless she gets boots with extra thick soles.

she is a newby to m/c's.
Personally, I think the FJ-09 is a combination of too tall and too powerful for a shorter newby rider. 
How many bikes has she test-sat?

How about a used SV650 for her first year riding? Maybe even a lowered on SV650.
After one full year of riding she can then decide if the FJ-09 is right for her.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

she is a newby to m/c's.
I recommend she start here riding on a bike similar to the bikes used in the MSF new rider training classes. A used beater about 250cc would be my recommendation, a beater because it's not a matter of[strong][em] if[/em][/strong] an new ride will drop a bike.... it's a matter of [strong][em]when[/em][/strong]! I was a MSF instructor/rider coach for several years and offered this advice to all my new rider students.  After a year or two when she's build her riding skills, street smarts, taken the Experienced Rider Course,  and developed her self confidence she'll be better prepared to decide which bike bests fits her needs. The mistake many new riders make is that their 1st bike is too big, too powerful, too intimidating..... they quickly loose interest and it soon becomes a garage queen.
Paul

I will get her proper schooling this spring and plenty of practice before any off roading.
I just noticed you mention "off-roading".   Not so sure the FJ-09 is the right bike for that purpose.  

Thinking a dual-sport model would be a bettr choice, especially to start with.

If she has never ridden, get her a used Ninja 300 for a few thousand miles. The FJ-09 has too much power for a new rider, and is tall on top of that. Not a good combination. The Ninja 300 has enough power to cruise on the highway, is fun as hell, and has an upright sporty seating and bar position. She will also be a better rider by learning to run up and down the gears as needed on the smaller motor, and the bike is very flickable, so control comes quickly. I loved my Ninja 250, and the 300 is much much better.

You can sell it for what you paid for it after a few months, and then decide if she needs an intermediate sized/powered bike like a Ninja 650 or an SV650 as the next step up.

just read Puddles ride report. wow,,,,I hope she works for some m/c mag!! Well done. Here I am sitting in Denver with single didget temps this morn and now can't wait to get riding again. But ,best ofboth worlds here as we are Mtn bound Sat for another ski day. 12" of fresh fell last 48hrs. Now, weather man sez mid 50s next week in town. I have 2 bikes, 1600 GTL ,and ST 1300(for sale btw) so the fj can be a his and hers after the bride gets more rider savvy. We both Mtn and road bike a lot ( as in bicycle) so putting two wheels w a motor on will bring great enjoyment to my spouse. Thanks for all the input,,,so far, happy riding!

These are good points. I'm a new rider and we took the MSF on 125cc motorcycles. My first bike was an dual sport, mainly because I was still deciding between street and dirt. A KL.R650 is a good bike to start off with if you can handle the height or can lower it. Yes, I laid it down in the dirt (sand) a few times. Tweaked my knee up a bit too. But I learned a lot and the bike isn't worse for the wear. Eventually I fully healed too. Heck, a lot of the reason to buy a bike like that is that you can beat on it and still ride it home.

After the season was over I ended up liking street better and wanted to do some sport touring with my brother. Some suggested the FJR and I could have gotten a great deal (FJ09 OTD price + bags/grips/windscreen + $4K), but ultimately I decided it was too much bike for me. Too much weight, power, cost, etc. So I moved up to the FJ09. I expect to stay in B mode most of the season while being respectful of the throttle.

The FJ09 is a lot of bike, but I don't think it's too much for me. It has similar ergos as my old KL.R and only weighs about 40 pounds more (vs. 200+ for the FJR). I feel I can handle it, so I'm going to give it a go.

Ultimately, it's a decision the rider has to make. You can't make it for them.

• Premium Member
I taught my wife to ride in the dirt first. It makes for a much better street rider when you know what a back end movement feels like. She had a suzuki 500 POS, then an SV650 (good starter bike), then a DRZ400sm (fun bike, but gutless), and now a street triple that she loves. I would stick with low and light for now, but she could hang on a Street triple me thinks. The FJ is a bit tall, but you can add a lower seat and she might be fine. What is her inseam? That is key.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

5'5" female here! I've been on a Ninja 250 for 3.5 years now, and it's time to upgrade! Unfortunately, I can't give anything but anecdotal evidence yet, but I should be able to update you soon. I JUST got the call from my dealer: THEY HAVE AN FJ IN! SO I'm running after work to get my first peek.

But my husband has the FZ-09, and with the low-seat option at the lowest setting, the FJ height should be comparable. I can almost flat-foot on the FZ since it is SO narrow. I will say that it is still A LOT of engine in the bike, and I feel my years on the lil Ninja have prepared me for the bigger bike. I'm not sure between the engine and the height if this is exactly a beginner bike. But assuming the training and prep are there, she should be golden!

Can you really flat foot an FZ-09? I am 5'6" and can't do more than put toes down when in gear (I weigh about 185# in full cold weather gear). The suspension is much stiffer than the FZ and will not compress nearly as much.
A seat narrow at the front makes a big difference for us shorter folks (I'm nearly 5'7", 30" inseam.) And for the same height, women generally have a taller inseam than men. Moto boots help too, I have 31" inseam with my riding boots. That's to the heals. To the front of the foot, which is what counts with both feet down, I'm about 30.5" in boots. 
I cannot flatfoot my FJ-09. My ankles are bent about 40 - 45 degrees with the seat in low position. Sliding over to the left a bit on the seat, I can flat foot on just the left side with my right foot on the rear brake (and peg.)

This spring I'm getting a KTM 690 Enduro R. It's seat is 2.5" taller than the FJ-09, but the bike is 120 lb lighter fully fueled.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived