• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Fj 09 Display Problem

tray

Yep, I noticed this on my display last wednesday while out on the bike, so next time im out on her, I'll check the screen before I start the engine and during the ride. Mine lives outside, under a leanto with 2 covers over the bike - basicaly protected from the weather, and I rarely  ride in the rain ( I ride for fun, I dont commute on her ) 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to the dealer today and they will talk with Yamaha. They asked me if the bike sleeps outside...well it's a bike so even if it is sleeping outside, these kind of stuff should not be happening.

Guys with the same problem can you tell what screen do you have? I have a Puig touring screen.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my bike from time to time (in heavy rain). Stock windscreen, and the bike sleeps outside the whole season. (I live in Norway, so the season is usually from early April to end of October). Haven't experienced any electrical issues with the display yet, but I think its only a matter of time. I will adress this problem with the dealer as soon as I turn it in for the 2nd service, probably in late march. The bike is one year old and with 6.000 kms on the dial.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I'm still waiting for my dealer to say something but can you please share some photos of your display problems so i can have a stronger case. Show to them that my bike is not the only one.

Thanks guys.

• Premium Member
I noticed an identical problem on a ride last Sunday that I had not seen before. It was not there when I started out and got progressively worse during the morning but then disappeared by the time I got home later in the afternoon. My bike is cosy in the garage and I am a fair-weather biker who genuinely has a choice whether to ride or not.

I was struck by the very symmetrical and specific shape of the condensation on the inside of the display and wonder if there is residual moisture that forms along a particular line of cleaning or adhesive residue left over from manufacture, which could explain repeated instances on successive clocks. It was certainly pretty cold on Sunday - around 5 degrees Centigrade - and the fact that it disappeared later in the day when the temperature had risen suggests a temporary problem. Let's see if it continues as the weather gets warmer...

• Premium Member
Hi guys, 
I'm still waiting for my dealer to say something but can you please share some photos of your display problems so i can have a stronger case. Show to them that my bike is not the only one.

Thanks guys.
Oh, and I took some photos and will upload them when I log in with the device I took them on.

• Premium Member
Hi guys, 

Thanks guys.
Oh, and I took some photos and will upload them when I log in with the device I took them on.
How quaint. Do you not mirror images across all platforms using a cloud solution like Dropbox?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
How quaint. Do you not mirror images across all platforms using a cloud solution like Dropbox?
LOL! No, I don't have enough room on my DropBox. I do upload all iPhone images through SkyDrive and probably could have done it that way. Guess I must like being quaint!  ;)

First noticed moisture in my dash a couple of weeks ago, bike is 11 months old. It was not there at the start of my ride out, but appeared after about 30 mins or so, only affecting the right hand side of the display. It started at the top of the display , then ran down to the bottom, the moisture dried out leaving a spot of water at the very bottom of the display. (pictures 1 and 2 ). The water disappeared after an hour or so.

Next time I had the bike out the dash was fine to start with, then both sides were soaking inside, after about 20 mins., of riding ( pictures 3 and 4 ). I took the bike to my dealer, even with this being a Sunday the service guy had a look and raised warranty claim with Yamaha, right then. I had a call from the dealer yesterday telling me the dash is at low stock with Yamaha , so is on back order for a few weeks. I asked as a matter of interest how much this part retails at, £560, don't want to have to change one of these out of warranty.

20160306_170315.jpg

20160306_170327.jpg

20160313_130819.jpg

20160313_130824.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
First noticed moisture in my dash a couple of weeks ago, bike is 11 months old. It was not there at the start of my ride out, but appeared after about 30 mins or so, only affecting the right hand side of the display. It started at the top of the display , then ran down to the bottom, the moisture dried out leaving a spot of water at the very bottom of the display. (pictures 1 and 2 ). The water disappeared after an hour or so. 
Next time I had the bike out the dash was fine to start with, then both sides were soaking inside, after about 20 mins., of riding ( pictures 3 and 4 ). I took the bike to my dealer, even with this being a Sunday the service guy had a look and raised warranty claim with Yamaha, right then. I had a call from the dealer yesterday telling me the dash is at low stock with Yamaha , so is on back order for a few weeks. I asked as a matter of interest how much this part retails at, £560, don't want to have to change one of these out of warranty.

20160306_170315.jpg

20160306_170327.jpg

20160313_130819.jpg

20160313_130824.jpg

Hi Guys, I've had the same issue. The moisture is the same as images posted and comes on during a ride ( not noticeable at the start). Bike is garaged and mostly used in fair weather. Had the bike since June 2015 and only been a problem this year as been off the road till April.

Doesn't seem right to me and will be taking it up with my dealer.

My new clocks have been delivered to the dealer, got it booked in for a service and clocks to be done in a few weeks time. I found out from the dealer the clocks will show 0 miles, they can't program them to show true mileage. 

• Premium Member
I guess my shots of this are not so clear but since it appears to be fairly transient I'm not bothered about a warranty claim just yet. 

4486038.jpg

4486040.jpg

Hi guys,

Here's an update to my display problem:

My dealer talked to Yamaha about the problem, and they agreed to replace the display on warranty. When I turned the bike in for service and display replacement, they said that Yamaha has stopped replacing the displays on warranty for now, and that I was the last one (at least in Norway) to got mine fixed by warranty. Yamaha claims the moisture in the display is coming from some kind of anti fog fluid they use in the unit. It dosen't sound very legit to me, but if it's true it could explain why the problem keep coming back for those who had their units replaced.

Anyway, I got mine replaced today and I'm excited to see if it solves the problem.
And yes, suddenly my bike was brand new. 0 km on the dial  :D
( suprised they couldn't reprogram the unit).

Will keep you updated!

I'm sorry but what a BS excuse from Yamaha!! An anti-fog fluid that creates the fog problem LOL. I'm going to get my third one install and i really have low hopes. If it was true every bike should show signs of this problem but it's not the reality.

Archived