Looking for sunshine and dry roads!

docsimple

Hey all,

I am sitting in Portland and just getting hella sick of the rain. I am thinking that in a couple weeks I would head south for a few days. Any recommendations on where I might find a good route in sun and preferably warmth?

It will most likely be California, I'm just not sure how far I will have to go get sun. Also funds are limited so I want to bikecamp the whole trip. Maybe hole up one night at some air b&b. I know in the NW I can bike camp for days and never run out of road. Amazingly after living here 22 years I still know very little about Cali. One possibility is the redwoods in northern Cali but I owuld expect rain and cold. But it's pretty close to me. 

As a side benefit: In & Out burgers!

thanks for any help.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I was just in the Redwoods (Humboldt Redwood State park) and conditions were good enough. Roads were damp, but not too slick and the campgrounds were empty.
I would imaging hwy 96 would be a sweet ride - even now. Enough of it gets sun that it could be a blast.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

thanks fan. I was noticing 70 degree weather in the bay area with sunshine. Would love to leave this week but I just ordered radiator guard and higdonion cage for the trip. Was hoping to get the CC unit but that will have to wait I guess.

Im looking at the 29th to the 4th of March. Keeping my fingers crossed for warm and dry in the Redwoods. An easy ride from Portland, plenty of beautiful campsites and roads well supplied with twisties.

Weather could well cooperate:
zw1Hw5X.jpg

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

BTW, my wife wants me to carry a handgun. Do you think that its wise in that neck of the woods? Not sure what the carry laws are in Cali as compared to Oregon.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

BTW, my wife wants me to carry a handgun. Do you think that its wise in that neck of the woods? Not sure what the carry laws are in Cali as compared to Oregon.
Not looking good as CA only issues concealed carry permits to residents.  Shit out of luck my good man.  Good wife too. 
Look at this site, Clicky.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I don't know what the carry laws are here. I don't think you'd need a firearm, but everyone has their own opinion on that.
Weather - Forecasts seem good these days for about 4 days, so I'd wait and see. Plan of course, but don't make any reservations you can't cancel.
One thing about the Trinity Alps area (like any mtn area) - the percent rain is way more critical. 20% chance in the valley might be 100% higher up.

There is a good brew pub in Fortuna, CA (Eel River brewing) and two hotels across the street.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Looking at those weather predictions I would go on March 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. I mean, its all good. I would love to do a 5 day trip to Northern CA. as I try to do a winter ride down ther every year.  Haven't done one since late October 2015. Here is a Ride I did just after the 1st of the year a few years ago,  And a fall ride to Northern Ca.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

well red, Id be open to discussing a small group trip. I could potentially do a 1st through the 6th or 7th.

I'm not to worried about a carry. I bring an ax. If I need more than that Im screwed. It was mostly for the wife.

Fan, I almost always camp off-road a little ways in the puckerbrush. Hotels are a last resort (pun intended). The location of a goods brewpub however, is priceless ;)
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

So, the weather around the Redwoods is starting to look a little sketchy for trip time. Thinking of re-routing to Death Valley. Other than "bring water" any input?
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
So, the weather around the Redwoods is starting to look a little sketchy for trip time. Thinking of re-routing to Death Valley. Other than "bring water" any input?
No need to bring any sand. 
But seriously, the central Sierra Foothills should be having pretty gorgeous weather for the next week.  Right now for instance in Angels Camp it's dry (we had rain last night but no more predicted for several days), blue sky, all the hills are green, 58 degrees right now, but supposed to be high sixties to low 70s next week.

This page shows data from my personal weather station:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:95221.1.99999?MR=1

Lately riding around here has been glorious, feels like I imagine riding in Ireland must feel.

Still snow on the ground at around the 4,000 foot level, but that leaves lots and lots of great twisties to ride at lower elevations.  Angels Camp where I live is at about 1500 feet.  The area I am talking about is the Sierra foothills / Gold Country from south of Lake Tahoe to north of Yosemite.

It is gorgeous for next week. My issue is that the week after its getting a little wetter. But I looked and you guys should be warm and dry most of my time there. Is there good hide-away camping in the area? I usually put off-road a little and throw at tent down. Is this remote enough for that kind of scofflaw behavior? Any campsites you would recommend?

This would be about 6 hours less each way on I5, which is a winner in my book.

thanks!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
It is gorgeous for next week. My issue is that the week after its getting a little wetter. But I looked and you guys should be warm and dry most of my time there. Is there good hide-away camping in the area? I usually put off-road a little and throw at tent down. Is this remote enough for that kind of scofflaw behavior? Any campsites you would recommend? 
This would be about 6 hours less each way on I5, which is a winner in my book.

thanks!
Can't really predict the weather more than a week out. 
LOTS of National Forest land all over the area, and you can do what they call "dispersed" camping most anywhere in the NF.  You have to provide your own water, and likely need a free campfire permit. You might check with the Forest Service offices for Stanislaus and Sequoia National Forests.

My favorite camping areas are not accessible now, usually from about 7,000 feet up.  Much of the available riding area at lower elevations is surrounded by private property.  This time of year I generally do not camp and just do day trips.

Hmmm, that changes things a bit. Most of my campspots are either snow covered or a giant mudslide :)

I'll keep it in mind though, and may route my ride through the area. Thanks much for the input.

And then I called Sequoia and its not worth riding a bike there. And I just mapped Death Valley. 1300 miles. Thats two 700 mile days to get there, so 4 700 miles days in a 7 day trip. May have to suck it up and bring my raingear for the Redwoods :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Well here in Vancouver Washington its been sunny and dry all month. You should just drive over the 205 bridge. Haha jk. This rain sucks.
I rode down to the Redwoods two summers ago following 101 all the way down camping along the way had a blast. It was a much better trip then last years hells canyon and sawtooth mountains.
As for camping I stayed in koa's because they have clean showers. The only place I would avoid was cresent city.
You will get wet this time of the year if you follow 101 but to me it was worth it but I would wait time till May and a good week of sun but thats me because I dont like rain.

Archived