i'm retarded and need stuff spelled out for me (side cases)

so, i have the OEM side cases.  it's not good enough. i need MOAR!  i also need a top case.  like, to carry some serious gear some serious miles. ;)

what do you guys recommend?  aside from OEM. those are gonna go bye bye (so if anyone needs/wants OEM ones, with some scuffs on the left side, mine will be fore sale soon).

pics, pls.  even better if you have links.  i'm new to hard luggage, so i dunno what monokey means. i don't know shad from a hole in the wall.  

mounting hardware?  i like big, aluminum, square ones. like BMW has on damn near every GS.  what about top case stuff?  ideally, stuff that i can just use a single key for, and that's easy to pop on/off.

thanks a ton, guys.  i've been trying to research this stuff, but seriously, some things, i just need someone to hold my hand. haha! 

So, since you already have the OEM stuff, you could swap out the bags for FJR bags, using the existing mounting hardware you've already installed you would upgrade from 22L to 30L. I personally did that option because I like the look. I also went with the 50L Yamaha top case that fits to the standard Yamaha rear rack. I was able to key all the cases to my ignition key pretty easily as well with a kit Yamaha sells. You can see that option all set up in my avatar.

Most of what I've seen fitted from Givi and Shad (both are brand names) look similar to the FJR bags, just with different mounting hardware and each case has different features. Givi makes 2 different kinds of mounting hardware, MonoKey and MonoLock. From what I understand, I don't think they are compatible. One is supposed to be higher quality than the other, I just can never which is which. Most of what I've seen mounted on the FJ-09 from Givi look like the FJR but they make a couple series called Trekker and Outback that are big and square but I don't know too much about them other than that.   I will leave the research to you to determine what mounting hardware is required from Givi to mount those cases.  You can get up to 48L side cases and 58L top cases.  Those are huge and you have to start worrying about rear width, weight distribution and over loading the bike a lot more when you get cases this big.  Also, the cases may become the first to touch in a lean, which limits your lean angles.  All things to think about but I can't confirm any of it because I don't have first hand experience with them.  I've not even done the research to know if you can mount these to the FJ.

All that being said, the Yamaha stuff I have doesn't look "big and square" like the GS cases. For that style, check out our supporting vendor in the links below. They have some great options with their Xplorer line of Hepco and Becker cases.  

http://fj-09.org/thread/892/hepco-becker-side-carriers-luggage

http://www.motomachines.com/Xplorer_c_25.html

Learn to pack more carefully? Most top boxes are weight limited to about 10Kg, so even a really big one is just for storing your lids when parked. Remember that it is mounted at the end of a long lever so the torque forces start getting very large. Worst case, they can tear the subframe apart. If you want to carry 'serious stuff serious miles' you have to ask why? There are some good websites on what you actually need to bring, everything else is just dead weight. If you need to transport 'stuff' then a van or fedex are both better options then a bike.

I just ordered a SHAD setup for my bike http://shadusa.com/wp/archives/product/fitment-kit-3p-honda-yamaha-fj-09.

The SH36 (36 litre capacity) for side cases and the SH48 for the top case. (I think the Shad top case fits the Yamaha factory rear rack) Like was said earlier they don't have a huge weight capacity, so you'll probably be limited by weight before they fill up. I mostly got the cases so with I go for rides with the lady we can leave all our gear with the bike.

I started buying gear at camping/hiking stores. I got a camping towel that's the size of a beach towel, but folds into something the size of a small paperback novel. I've also learned to pack really light, you'd be amazed what you can live without.

• Premium Member
I have FJR bags also. The OEM bags look nice but seems like a lotta dough for 5heir size. I also have the Ventura Pack Rack system. The Mistral pack is HUGE! I can camp solo for days with just this system. With the Feejer bags I can take all sorts of junk I don't need. The L brackets, pack rack, and pack run about $575.00. Not cheap, but I like it. There is a grab bar available to install when the pack system is not in use.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

I can get camping equipment for two plus several bottles of Irish Whiskey in my setup  :D

I just ordered a SHAD setup for my bike http://shadusa.com/wp/archives/product/fitment-kit-3p-honda-yamaha-fj-09.  
The SH36 (36 litre capacity) for side cases and the SH48 for the top case. (I think the Shad top case fits the Yamaha factory rear rack) Like was said earlier they don't have a huge weight capacity, so you'll probably be limited by weight before they fill up. I mostly got the cases so with I go for rides with the lady we can leave all our gear with the bike.

I started buying gear at camping/hiking stores. I got a camping towel that's the size of a beach towel, but folds into something the size of a small paperback novel. I've also learned to pack really light, you'd be amazed what you can live without.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I have SHAD SH-48 top SH-36 sides. I run the top all the time and the sides only when needed. The sides limit my lane splitting confidence but provide lots of capacity.

Oh and don't mind the folks who ask why you want to carry stuff. They are a bunch of tossers!

Thanks a ton for the responses, guys! I don't need to camp...I just need to carry a bunch of photo and video equipment to various shoots. I'll look into the things you've recommended and see what works for me.

It will cost a few bob, but plenty of places do custom flight cases. Ring around and see if you can find one that can transfer the mounting brackets from your existing side cases onto theirs. You will still limited by the bikes total safe payload, which is not that high, so make sure it is worth doing before you spend a fortune.

Archived