Question for Nels Regarding Hard Starting

oldfart

Many of the FJ-09 owners on this forum have reported occasional hard starting problems.  This is a common problem among those who had their ECUs flashed (like me) and those who didn't, so it has nothing to do with the flash.  But I was thinking that maybe you might have some thoughts on the problem and if it could be fixed by tweaking the ECU (obviously I don't know the technical terms).  Let me explain the problem if you haven't been following that thread:  Bike starts fine when totally cold.  Bike starts fine when fully warmed up (like after a gas fill-up, or very brief stop).  Bike starts HARD occasionally, randomly, when it has sat for 30-60 minutes after a ride.  It's like the bike knows how to start itself when it's cold, and when it's warm, but not in between.  Many tricks to start it in this situation have been offered (in the way of how to live with the problem), but nothing that totally fixes the problem.  This is happening pretty often now on my bike and it's frustrating.  Any thoughts?   Thanks, Bill (the old guy who rode up from Palm Springs to your shop last summer).  And of course, I love my re-flash and my bike other than this issue!

• Premium Member
Nothing from me other than that my '15, stock flash, does this more and more often.  

About 1000 miles on the bike.  I did check the throttle body sync at 600 miles and it was fine.  I checked to make sure I have 2-3mm of free play in the throttle cable.  

I have tried switching key off and start button off when it does it, and that doesn't help.  If I give it just a *small* amount of throttle, it will catch, stumble and start.  Never fails to start when I do that.

Then probably 60% of the time it starts completely normally.  No pattern I can see.  It sometimes fails to start after sitting all night, sometimes after a 5 minute gas stop, sometimes after a 1 hour lunch.  And I know if I take it to the dealer (almost 4 hours round trip) it won't do it or they will want to keep it overnight and will likely not fix it anyway, since I have not heard of a single person whose dealer has fixed this problem.

I just figure it's a quirk of the bike, and I have to live with it or get rid of the bike.  For now, I will live with it.

Now that I have the forks out of it and on the way to Traxxion, I am gonna pull the ECU and send it to Nels for a flash for my Graves exhaust.

Does anyone know if the FZ-09 motorcycles have the same issue? 
Yes they do. Along with FJR1300's. I've only experienced it personally on my FJ-09 and only once, so far. But other members have posted it's a Yamaha thing on those models also.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Many of the FJ-09 owners on this forum have reported occasional hard starting problems.  This is a common problem among those who had their ECUs flashed (like me) and those who didn't, so it has nothing to do with the flash.  But I was thinking that maybe you might have some thoughts on the problem and if it could be fixed by tweaking the ECU (obviously I don't know the technical terms).  Let me explain the problem if you haven't been following that thread:  Bike starts fine when totally cold.  Bike starts fine when fully warmed up (like after a gas fill-up, or very brief stop).  Bike starts HARD occasionally, randomly, when it has sat for 30-60 minutes after a ride.  It's like the bike knows how to start itself when it's cold, and when it's warm, but not in between.  Many tricks to start it in this situation have been offered (in the way of how to live with the problem), but nothing that totally fixes the problem.  This is happening pretty often now on my bike and it's frustrating.  Any thoughts?   Thanks, Bill (the old guy who rode up from Palm Springs to your shop last summer).  And of course, I love my re-flash and my bike other than this issue!
I've noticed that my bike sometimes doesn't want to start - is that what you mean by "hard start?" - but I figured out that it's the key position isn't in just the right spot. It seems that it doesn't always click into just the right spot on my bike. To fix this, I just turn it back to the "off" position, and then back to "on" again and it starts just fine. I've never had any other problems starting my bike with 3,300 miles to date.  Maybe check to see if this works for you too.

Archived