Trailering your FJ

• Premium Member
I'm posting for some insight on the best tie down spots for our FJ's
The rear is easy, right off the passenger pegs.
The front is a bit different. When trailering my HD XR1200 the triple trees are exposed and my canyon dancer fit over the bar ends. A very easy tie down sequence.
What have others been doing?

Thanks in advance.... FDdriver.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I'm posting for some insight on the best tie down spots for our FJ's The rear is easy, right off the passenger pegs.
The front is a bit different. When trailering my HD XR1200 the triple trees are exposed and my canyon dancer fit over the bar ends. A very easy tie down sequence.
What have others been doing?

Thanks in advance.... FDdriver.
I use tie downs with soft ties built in and tie around the lower triple clamp. Sometimes I need to tie a rag around where the straps may touch the body work to keep from getting rub burns. I also use dirtbike tie downs, I don't like the ratcheting type, but as always, YMMV. Just make sure to lock the dirtbike tie downs properly so they will not move.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I too used the PowerTye heavy duty straps with loops built in, with the loops around the lower triples when I trailered the bike home from the dealer.  Worked fine.

51X78a-LdcL._SL1000_.jpg

I don't tie down the nether regions.

• Premium Member
I've been using Steady-mate tie-downs for years on my ATV's and Motorcycle.

I will say I prefer the ratchet style over the above pictured, as I can secure tighter.
Love this style of strap for the loops that protect the paint/contact points on the unit.

product_00000015_full.jpg

• Premium Member
I don't like the ratchet style buckles because it is difficult to release them gently.  If they are tight and I release them, all the tension goes at once and the bike can rock over quickly.  I have more control with the other kind of buckles.

• Premium Member
I don't like the ratchet style buckles because it is difficult to release them gently.  If they are tight and I release them, all the tension goes at once and the bike can rock over quickly.  I have more control with the other kind of buckles.
This can be true, I've only had it try to jump away once on me, just have to be aware of it. 
I purchased my bike 1200 kms from home... So having it secured for the transport home was important to me!

• Premium Member
I use tie downs with soft ties built in and tie around the lower triple clamp. Sometimes I need to tie a rag around where the straps may touch the body work to keep from getting rub burns. I also use dirtbike tie downs, I don't like the ratcheting type, but as always, YMMV. Just make sure to lock the dirtbike tie downs properly so they will not move.
Finish off with a No. 4 knot (half hitch knot).

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies.

I have a single Kendon trailer. https://www.kendonusa.com/product/single-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer/#
Kendon%20trailer_zps1spbaxye.jpg
The front tie downs are pretty wide, I'm not sure that I can get soft cinches around the triple tree and straps out to the tie downs without putting pressure on the body work....
Here is Plan "A".

I'm going to unscrew the hand guards at the handlebar ends (It only takes a minute to do it.)  slide the canyon dancer on the grips, reattach the hand guard and strap it down.
I usually have 6 tie downs. 2 for the rear, the canyon dancer rig, and 2 off the triple trees. If I have to I'll go with 4 and cross my fingers.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. 

I have a single Kendon trailer. https://www.kendonusa.com/product/single-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer/#
Kendon%20trailer_zps1spbaxye.jpg
The front tie downs are pretty wide, I'm not sure that I can get soft cinches around the triple tree and straps out to the tie downs without putting pressure on the body work....
Here is Plan "A".

I'm going to unscrew the hand guards at the handlebar ends (It only takes a minute to do it.)  slide the canyon dancer on the grips, reattach the hand guard and strap it down.
I usually have 6 tie downs. 2 for the rear, the canyon dancer rig, and 2 off the triple trees. If I have to I'll go with 4 and cross my fingers.
You can use soft-ties near the bar-end where the grip ends and handguard begins. Worked perfectly for 300 miles over 5 1/2 hrs when I trailered her home last year. On the back, use soft ties on the passenger footpegs.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Yeah I have plenty of soft cinches.

Soft%20cinch_zpskj0mi1zh.jpg

I'll figure out something.... :)

Archived