Should I buy a 2005 FJR1300 ???

Guest bruinfj09guy

Guest bruinfj09guy
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd come here for some feedback, since I know a lot of FJ-09 owners have also had FJRs.

I love my FJ-09, but I've always wondered if I made the right choice, in buying it over an FJR. I believe the correct answer to the dilemma is "both"!

However, I can't afford a new FJR. I'm looking at a 2005. It is in very nice shape, but has just about 80,000 miles on it. I know valves, rear drive, plugs, oil, etc are all going to need to be done pretty much right out of the gate. 

What do you guys think of picking up a bike with this many miles? The bike has been garage kept and has been mature owned, mostly leading me to believe the guts have been well cared for also. Is there anything in particular I should be weary of? I know these bikes routinely do mid 100k range. I also know I will probably have a harder time selling it with each mile it gets closer to 100k. 

My idea is to own it and ride it and switch between the FJR and FJ-09 to get a feel for which one I'd rather own, and maybe look at getting a new FJR in the future. I know there have been various changes, but I imagine it will give me a pretty good feel for the bike, as changes have been rather minimal.

I'll be picking the bike up for just about $3k, if I pull. Seems like not a bad deal based on what is out there for sale. But again, the miles and service are a down point.

Nudge me in one direction or the other.  :)

I think you need both! The FJR is damn near bulletproof. Handles well for a 600+ lb. machine and a cruise missile if opened up. There have been issues in the past with some early cam chain tensioners. Just make sure it has been changed. My FJR rolled over 93,000 Sunday and I am not even considering parting with it. The second generation bikes are better about rider heat. But the only time it seems noticeable is in town. Check out the FJR forums. Lot of good info there. I am exactly opposite. I own an FJR and looking to pick up an FJ-09. And the FJR will never be hard to sell. They have a HUGE following.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to listen particularly close for cam chain rattle on any bike I check out.  

The FJR is one of the very best motorcycles ever made. Comfortable and it makes horsepower in useable rpm ranges. Google the "Iron Butt Rally". It is held every other year and is like cannonball run for motorcycles. Usually around 12,000 miles in days and the top of the pack every time is chock full of FJR's. Few years ago 7 out of the top ten finishers were on FJR's. Their comfort, extreme reliability, range and power, for the money makes it the best sport touring bike on my list.

I have seen some FJR's with over 150,000 miles on the original engine. But I also know a guy whose engine grenaded at 75K. It all depends on who owned it and how well they maintained the oil filter changes, checked and adjusted the valves as well as how well they lubricated the bearings.

I see FJR's in the 30,000 mile range for around 5-6 grand from time to time. I would keep looking for one with less miles, but that's just me.

Yeah, can you tell that I have much love for the FJR?

• Premium Member
If a FJR is a sport touring bike what qualifies as a "touring bike"?

In my mind a Triumph Sprint GT is a sport touring bike. Something that weighs more that 260 kg with full fairing and shaft drive is a touring bike. BMW might get away calling the R1200RS a sport touring bike, the RT in my book is a full on touring bike. VFR1200 is just wrong. So, FJR, GTR, R1200RT are touring bikes. Oh, a Goldwing is really not a motorcycle - I know I know, there people that can ride them through the twisties faster than I can my Tracer...

If a FJR is a sport touring bike what qualifies as a "touring bike"? 

In my mind a Triumph Sprint GT is a sport touring bike. Something that weighs more that 260 kg with full fairing and shaft drive is a touring bike. BMW might get away calling the R1200RS a sport touring bike, the RT in my book is a full on touring bike. VFR1200 is just wrong. So, FJR, GTR, R1200RT are touring bikes. Oh, a Goldwing is really not a motorcycle - I know I know, there people that can ride them through the twisties faster than I can my Tracer...
All my rides longer than 1 day are sport touring. Because I always choose the twistiest roads possible, and have some sort of luggage. I've been doing this since 1979. Bikes I've 'sport toured' on, in order: 
79 XS400, 79 XS-Eleven, 81 550 Seca, 82 GS750E, 83 Gpz 550, 81 GS1100E, 96 ZX600E, 80 CBX, 00 SV650S, 86 NS400R, 81 GS1100G (rehab-bike recovering from 1st deer hit), 97 TL1000S, 02 KLR 650, 09 675 Street Triple R, 09 WR250X, 15 FJ-09, 15 KTM 690.
(I never owned the CBX: 2 week 4,000 km trip through 6 European countries...)

Don't get hung up on bike type naming.  8-)
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Cruzin: Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Ironbutt. I think the previous owner may have done one on the bike.

Desert: Indeed, they do make great stable mates! They look just awesome in there parked side by side!

GotFZ1: I did really well, I think. I skipped out on the 2005 and bought a 2008 (black) with 53000 on the clock. The previous owner was meticulous about his bike, has a well equipped garage, and kept up on all maintenance himself. He's got records for just about everything, and upgraded to a 2012 he picked up in 2014 for a song. He's done the brake pads, did that valves about 40k he thinks, and has invited me back to flush the brake lines and do a couple other routine things in the next couple weeks. Based on the pricing I've seen local and around the forum, I think I got a pretty good deal on a clean bike!

Pics of the girls together to follow!

Archived