Tidying-up the rear lights/ number plate assembly...

About to take delivery of my new (and second) Tracer, supposedly the last Matte Grey version (same as previously) left here in Oz.
Mid-last year I saw some instructions on how to tidy-up the rear lights/ plate assembly by removing the central pressed steel support 'arm'/ extender and moving the assembly forward and up to be a close fit under the rear of the bike.   Visually it was great improvement.
I cannot seem to locate this very useful information, maybe because I'm using the wrong words in the Search function, but can anyone help, please?
And to those who have done it - is it a difficult task, or more 'fiddly' than difficult?
Some 'farkling' is ready to go, with the following on-hand already: amber LED indicators: set of Skene P3 rear tail and pulsing brake lights [em]("brighter than a thousand suns"):[/em] Stebel Magnum electric two-tone horn: M-Factory mirror risers/ extenders: Grip Puppies. All these were also on my last Tracer, with good effect.
Subject to evaluation of the seat, and hoping that Yamaha may have improved it without telling anybody, I may or may not require a new Seat Concepts kit, as fitted to my last Tracer.   This gave a fair and acceptable but not brilliant improvement over the stock seat, for a reasonable cost, as shown over two back-to-back 580km days on the bike.
And again - if the front fork in particular is as harsh as before, some tuning and adjustment may be needed: I did this on the earlier bike, again recording a fair improvement to acceptable/ tolerable.
To improve front-on conspicuity I fitted a pair of knuckleguard LEDs to the last bike, but I had some 2" dia Cree LED spots on another bike, which were outstanding, and much cheaper than the knuckleguard items.   There may be some difficulty finding a high-up mounting location for the Crees, so if that isn't feasible it will be back to the knuckleguard kit.
Pix will be posted in due course...
Thanks in advance for information requested....
[em]w[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I've got a post way back explaining how I did it. It's quite simple. I did buy longer bolts to attach it to the bike though. The oem threads barely caught, and I didn't like that. But honestly doing this shouldn't take more than ten minutes once you have those longer bolts in hand.

As for the lights, adventuretech (sponsor) here, makes a mount that goes right below the headlights. Check recent posts in the what did you do to your fj today for a pic I posted.

• Premium Member
I've got a post way back explaining how I did it. It's quite simple.
Can you please post a link to this? I am interested as well. 
Thank you
All in the how to section: linky1
linky2

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies and links. I found vango's original instructions and some others from last year and they are crystal clear, so I'll set-to once the bike is here (next Wednesday).

As far as the mounting brackets for the Cree front LED spotlights are concerned, the suggested adventuretech ones appear to be different to those pictured on the French [em]gendarmerie[/em] bikes in Wessie's latest post.   Adventuretech calls it a 'light-bar', so I'm going to order one if needed (which is likely).   Thanks, zachd.

[em]w[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

All in the how to section: linky1
linky2

Thanks for the links. I should have checked the how to section... my bad.

I just did mine, did it slightly different than everyone that I've seen so far so I'll add this. I'll probably catch a hard time for the way I did it, but I did not want to modify the bike by drilling out any of the holes so I made this work. I used 2 longer stainless pan-head machine screws through the rear-most 2 bolt holes. I then stacked up all of the OEM spacers on each of the two machine screws (2 silver and 2 black) that were removed with the factory parts. I then used a nylock nut that I had laying around on the bottom so they wouldn't loosen. Probably not necessary but I had them laying around the shop. With just the two bolts, the bracket was VERY secure. I decided to grab a scrap of Romex house wiring that I had laying around and fed it through the other 2 bolt holes (the ones that don't line up) and twisted it snug. It's not perfect, but I did not need to modify anything. I then used one zip tie to hold the now longer OEM cables in place and routed them through the stock locations. Time will tell how it holds up using this method so use at your own risk. The benefit is that nothing was modified and can be easily reverted back to 100% stock.

Here are a couple pics, please don't mind the mud....

IMAG2540_zps5feblbqv.jpg

IMAG2542_zpsc5dmp90n.jpg

IMAG2541_1_zpsjhvzy64t.jpg

'15 FJ-09 (Red) - DIY OEM Tidy Tail - Updated Oil Pan

That's a neat and probably OK compromise, robbgt!

BTW - love the doggie! Breed? - mine's a Shetland Sheepdog, aka Sheltie, a miniature (well, not so miniature at 15" tall and 16kgs) Lassie lookalike!

W

Archived