NC700X to FJ-09

I've been riding my 2012 NC700x for a few years and considering selling the bike for an FJ-09. My reasons for changing are mainly due the addition of ABS and TC. I still really like my NCX but cannot keep two bikes. Is there anyone that has switched from an NC700X to the FJ-09 that could give a good comparison between the bikes in terms of riding experience. Like for example, how do the bikes compare with regard to passing at highway speeds in top gear (does one need to change down in the FJ-09 to get passed semi's quickly). Also experience with the stock screen NC700x vs FJ-09. The standard OEM NC700X screen works for me since at my  height (5ft 11) my head is in the clean air and turbulent area sits round my chest. Is there a setting on the FJ-09 screen that would work similarly average height (5ft 10ish).

Thanks

• Premium Member
your first question is easy to answer and I have never ridden an NC700X - it makes 51 bhp. The FJ09 make 115 bhp - it will feel like a rocket ship in comparison and top gear roll ons are effortless and overtakes in 2nd or 3rd gear are exhilarating and quite addictive due to the howl of the induction roar.

You will find many opinions about the screen as this is so subjective. Some people think the standard screen is okay but many want something better. You'll find hundreds of posts on this forum about alternatives or adaptations. Take a test ride and factor in you may need to spend $100 on something from one of the many aftermarket suppliers.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I test rode the NV and the fj at the same time. My friend rode the NV and I took the fj. We switched 3x after the first ride. The 6k rpm Rev limiter was so frustrating for me. My honda grom goes to like 9.5k. I hit the limited in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Overall, I felt like it was way to sluggish compared to the FJ. No comment on wind screens as both were aftermarket. The big difference was power and the fj was taller. I kind liked how the NV was shorter, but that was it.

I came from a CB500X to the FJ. So not exactly the same, but similar, I have also riden a NC700 a couple of times. In terms of power, there is no comparison, you are adding 65hp and 20ish ft lbs. And it has so much character which the CB500 and the NC are lacking IMO. I found the overall build quality better on my CB500, it just felt a little better put together, I'm not saying I'm not happy with the Yamaha, but it's not a Honda.

If you want a practical commuter, the NC can't be beat, but if you want a do it all bike that has the heart of a sport bike the Yamaha is the answer.

Where the Yamaha is better
- Engine has much more power, lots more character, yet can still be happy riding at a normal pace
- Much more tech TCS, ABS, Riding modes, Power Plug, LED headlights, heated grips (optional but great)
- Center Stand factory

Where the Honda is better
- Better Built Quality
- Better Fuel Ecomony
- The awesome storage trunk.

• Premium Member
After my Buell Ulysses and I parted ways in 2012, I bought an NC700X in Sept, '12 and kept it until I bought my FJ-09 in Jan, '15. Both bikes have side and tail bags. The FJ-09 has a small tank bag, too. The only thing I missed about the NC was the frunk and that was only until I got the FJ up above 4000rpm in 3rd gear. Wow!

I regularly pass in 6th without bothering to downshift. From 75 MPH on the freeway, it takes almost no time to run past a semi or two. If I have to pass 3 of them in a row, I'm usually into triple digits before I start slowing down. Oops.

I replaced my stock screen with a Madstad one. Better shape than stock, and even more adjustable.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy. In fact, I'm happy enough that I probably won't bother looking at any adventure bike that EBR might maybe perhaps someday bring out (if ever), now that they're back in business again.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Guest dmizer
I think you'll find that your biggest complaint after moving from an NC700X to a Tracer will be the lack of storage space. Plan for that, because it bit me even though my previous bike didn't even have close to as much on bike storage as the NC700X.

Archived