Ride Around Mount Rainier

DavidS

• Premium Member
I did a 250 mile ride today around Mount Rainier, just outside of Seattle Washington. Incredible ride with lots of amazing mountain views with a ton of twisties.

I went south on highway 18 and 169 from I90 down to Enumclaw and then took the 410 up to the NE side of the mountain. I then went down the east side to the south of the mountain on highway 123 which curves around the mountain to the west. I then came up highway 7 back into the south part of the Puget Sound area, and traversed some small highway roads back north east with some good twists into Enumclaw and then back up the 169 to home.

I ran into a lot of riders, and had a great conversation with a pair of riders who were touring/camping together on a trek across the country. Still can't wipe the grin off my face, I love this bike!

No pictures, I was having too much fun riding. I will definitely do this ride again, and I promise pictures next time....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
That sounds like a beautiful ride. I have climbed Rainier twice, I'd like to see if from the east side by bike instead of up close, cold and exhausted! Ha Ha

Have you ridden NFD25 from Randle south? Starts out as hwy 131. https://goo.gl/maps/n4ehr68dcsA2

My friend and I are headed to Glacier NP this September and considering coming home via the east side of the Cascades and thought rolling down the east side of Rainier and St. Helens could be cool.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
I went right by hwy 131, but haven't been on it yet. It looks like it would be a nice ride down around Mt St. Helens to the south and east, and you can follow it west until you pick up interstate 5. There is a nice gas/rest area at Packwood just as you come down off Mt Rainier before you hit 131.

I could try that ride sometime, but it ends up being 400 miles, a bit much for a one day ride.

• Premium Member
Have you ridden NFD25 from Randle south? Starts out as hwy 131.  

That road is on my short list of trips that I'd like to try this summer. I want to include NF-99 to Windy Ridge observatory and then maybe extend it to a multi-day trip and continue on to Hood River, and further south towards Bend, OR. Might as well shoot for Crater Lake as long as I'm still dreaming. 

I went right by hwy 131, but haven't been on it yet. 
I didn't catch that you took Hwy 12 on your ride. I had guessed that you took Stevens Canyon Rd/706 around the south side of Rainier. That is the route I take. Then you get to take a photo at Reflection Lakes along the way and stop at Paradise. 4617587.jpg

Of course, you have to pay $20 to get into the national park. Your route avoided the park fee.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
My friend and I are headed to Glacier NP this September and considering coming home via the east side of the Cascades and thought rolling down the east side of Rainier and St. Helens could be cool.
Hi fanowater, how long is the ride from where you live to Glacier NP? 
I worked there [Glacier NP] back in the summer of '77 and the place was amazing...absolutely beautiful [Many Glacier Hotel]...a retun visit is in order from Southern California. 
We did day 1 L.A....day 2 Reno...day 3 Idaho...day 4 Montana [Glacier is at the Canadian border almost]

GNP would be one sweet place to work for a summer.  Jealous! I was in GNP two years ago with the family, but a stomach flu (that got all of us) and bad weather wiped out 4 of our 7 days there.  So headed back.Our current route plan is 1443 miles from Santa Rosa.  We hope to reach East Glacier by early afternoon on day 3(so we  can check out the lakes on the east side before they are just silhouettes in the setting sun).  Even though I  booked it 9 months in advance, I could only get lodging Monday and Tuesday night inside the park.  So Friday after work we will ride about 200 miles to a rendezvous point and then hit it bright and early Saturday morning.  My bud and I have put in these kinds of miles before, so we know we can do it.Shorter routes exist, but I just can't won't skip scenic places or twisty roads to shave miles and avoid rolling thru  cities like the plaque.  Rather spend more time in the saddle on the little stuff.Saturday night we hope to be in John Day, Or, Sunday night - somewhere near Lolo pass in Idaho.Day 4 we will day hike, then have 5 days to ride back.
Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived