Bar ends

fddriver2

• Premium Member
Ok everyone.
I could use a little help. I want to ditch the hand guards completely and put some bar ends/weights on.
I live in South Florida where it's warm year round (mostly) and when I travel it's normally in the milder months so hand protection is really not a big deal...
I like the Sato bar ends, I have a Sato frame slider on my XR and it's beautiful, but even they don't know what would fit. 

"Jeff,

Thank you for the photos!

Yeah, that is a completely different design from the FZ-09 bar ends. It appears to take an M8 bolt size. If that is the case, the bar ends we make that might fit are our M8 size Bar Ends (part# BE-M8S / BE-M8L). Although due to the depth of the bolt hole, you might need longer bolts than those provided in the bar ends kit.

If the black part that sticks out of the brake side handle bar is less than 27mm in diameter, you may want to get our Kawasaki-type M8 bar ends (part# BE-M8SK / BE-M8LK) instead, since they include an extra adapter collar that will cover that part so it is less visible. This collar can be removed if not needed.

Details:

http://satoracing.com/handlebarends_M8_kawasaki.htm

Before ordering you might want to verify if the bolt size is M8, since it is a hard to judge the size from just looking at photos. it could be M10 size.

Regards,

Matt Hall
Sato Racing Inc.
info@satoracing.com
831-899-1822

So the questions are. Has anyone done this? Obviously the handlebar inserts come out somehow. So how? Does anyone know the bolt size? M6, M8, M10?
Any insight will be appreciated.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Some folks have used these: http://fj-09.org/thread/2893/sato-racing-stainless-bar-ends 
In this thread it mentions "I got model number BE-2L-SUS from the link I originally posted and used the 14mm insert."

It sounds like you may have sent them photos of the bars with the inserts that are used for the handguards still in place. Those can be removed.

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread.. I missed it. I'm struggling with the search option..   So. How do the oem inserts come out? It looks to me like a giant allen key goes into it I certainly don't have anything that big and I've never seen one that big...

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Have you looked at the lidlox bar ends. I really like mine. They are a helmet lock bar end. It comes with a T piece to lock your helmet but my d-ring fits so I never use the T. I use mine all the time. So convenient when running in a store or in somewhere to eat. Bought them on e-bay.

• Premium Member
gotfz1 thanks for the info. I'll start looking around.

• Premium Member
hscooter52 Thanks for the new direction to go... lol. I may never make a decision..... :)

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread.. I missed it. I'm struggling with the search option..   So. How do the oem inserts come out? It looks to me like a giant allen key goes into it I certainly don't have anything that big and I've never seen one that big...

Used big allen socket. Have that large and larger still but doing my own work for some time.  
One alternative to buying large allens is to find a coupling nut at a local hardware store that fits and spin it with a wrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-hex-socket-set-67895.html I found these at harbor freight, 1/2 drive metric impact hex socket, if there is one near you, or they do mail order.
But this set as the correct size hex driver for the bar ends.

• Premium Member
And BTW, it takes a 12mm allen to get the inserts out. And the tread pattern in the bars is M16 1.5 pitch.
Thanks for the information.... :) 

• Premium Member
Hand guards off. Cheap Oxford bar ends until I pull the trigger on Sato's or the FZ-1's or the FZ-09's...

20160608_155448_zpsc8wtydv6.jpg

Archived