From Beemer to Yammie

icpete

• Premium Member
First thanks to all the forum members who have posted about their experiences with the FJ-09. You've been very helpful in learning about the bike.
Given that test rides at dealers are nearly impossible, work of mouth on the Internet is the next best thing.
It's also been a great way to learn about accessories (and to deplete one's bank account).

After 13 years on a 2004 BMW R1150RT, I've purchased a 2016 FJ-09. I will sell the BMW privately now.
A large part of the motivation was needing to frequently load and unload the bike from a flatbed semi-truck, via ramps.
The RT is tall and top-heavy, and was making me very uncomfortable doing that. So moving to a bike that is 150 lbs lighter made sense.
Also the RT has 70,000 miles on it, so the odds of something expensive going south on it are increasing.
When I'm parked in one place for a few months, the bike is my main mode of transportation.
I'm looking forward to riding the FJ now.

Other bikes I considered:

2015 BMW F800GT: I did test ride this one. On paper it looked perfect, but the ride left me feeling it was bland and I just couldn't get excited about the way it rode. The engine seemed very raucous, gravelly, noisy, and rough.

2016 MV Augusta Turismo Veloce: Sat on it and felt it was too tall. Again on paper it does everything right. And the local dealer had a new Lusso in stock he had marked down from $19K to $17K. But with so few dealers around the country and my traveling mode, it would be crazy to get that. Too much money and too much risk of mechanical problems.

2016 FZ-09: Definitely a great bike and the light weight and low seat were enticing. But it feels too short to me (the length of the bike), and just small in general. Mainly I guess I really wanted ABS and traction control.

2017 FZ-10: This is going to be a heck of a machine when it arrives in a few weeks. I bet it would be perfect for me except for one thing: limited fuel range. I guess the FJ should get much better mileage and has a 4.8 gallon tank. The FZ-10 was specified at something like 30 MPG, and way more HP than I could ever use.

Ducati Monster 821: Putting hard luggage on it seemed like a challenge; the dealer had no suggestions beyond hand-made brackets. I've gotta have the hard bags to carry groceries and such.

Finally, in the end, Yamaha's reputation for high reliability and advanced engineering sold me. BMWs are nice bikes, also with great engineering, but I'm ready for something different!

Pete

Welcome Pete.

Thanks for sharing your thought process on how you came to your decision to transgress to the FJ-09.
Downsizing takes a bit of thought (did it myself last year) but you have to do what feels right.

I've done about 20,000 km in roughly 6 months on the FJ-09 - 95% of it long distance trips away and loaded with the factory 19lt panniers and a 46lt Givi trekker top box, OEM Touring tank bag, a seat bag and with the upgraded rear shock, it's now handles wonderfully.

Wishing you many happy hours, days and adventures on your new ride.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Welcome icpete:  As you I came from the larger sport touring bikes.  My first was a BMW R1100Rabs, second and third a 05 FJR1300abs.  After today, I will be at 30,000 miles on the FJ 09.  I am very happy with this bike and it has become my choice in the garage.  The FJR sits and waits for that occasional ride, while the FJ just adds mile after mile.  Weight was my main motivation to get the FJ,  and it is easy to move around.  Harder after adding side bags and top box. I have found the seat okay and have done multiple 500 mile days on it, but I do 25K a year so maybe, just maybe, I have conditioned my ass a little better then others. Have a great time with the FJ, I'm sure you will like the performance and attitude.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived