Back into bikes with an FJ

jbolt

Hey guys,

I'm coming from a 6 year hiatus in the motorcycle world. My last bike was a 2006 KTM 625 smc I had in California while stationed down there. AWESOME bike, didn't have it for super long though as I started to not ride much. Before that a couple of different GSXR's. Got tired of driving my '06 F-150 on short trips to work, school, etc., and wanted to get something to commute on and leave the truck for towing (just paid it off and would like for it to last a while). Started looking for something more comfortable/unique than my previous bikes and thought I settled on a Triumph Bonneville T-120 black. Very cool bike overall, but then I spotted an FJ-09... The FJ checks a LOT of boxes and now the wife and I can also take some trips together comfortably.

Picked up a new 2015 in black on sale for $9,450. Out the door with everything + a 5 year extended coverage for anything for $10,400. Very happy so far and look forward to my commute now. I plan on going the opposite direction of my norm and leaving it mostly all stock. I plan on doing fender eliminator, or most likely a custom "reducer" to get that awful length out of the bracket. Also LED signals, some wheel pinstripes, and some other little odds and ends. I look forward to sharing some rides.

d2d1b2e2-708b-4dec-b3bb-74ba090db6d3_zpsnj0mw7uy.jpg

Wooooop - Love my FJ... I would suggest taking the hand guards off and putting some heavy bar-ends in... The hand guards cause a steering wobble when turbulence hits ether side. Also, I picked up the V-Stream Touring screen as well... Very nice upgrade.

Thanks for the info! Hadn't read about the turbulence effect yet, but that makes sense at higher speeds. You can see it enough in the windscreen while traveling. I'll check out that windscreen as well.

• Premium Member
Enjoy!

Before you modify the tail, I'd suggest that you might want to think about any luggage you could end up wanting, and confirm that it's compatible with any mods you make. It's an extremely versatile bike, and in my case, I didn't want to mess with anything that could compromise the versatility later on...

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike. Lots of good info here, and plenty of good ideas to help you spend more money..:)
Yep... Already have about $400 worth of crap on order lol. Up next on the list within the next few months is a roadtrip up to Seattle just a few hours away to get the ECU flashed. I knew how the mapping was before getting the bike, but still kinda surprised on HOW jerky and stuttery the bike is...

Archived