Can't loosen the rear axle bolt to adjust chain

Hi folks. After reading all about the chain tension spec being too tight I decided I would adjust mine, but can't seem to loosen the rear 27mm axle bolt.  I pulled with all my strength (counter-clockwise), but it won't budge.  I thought about hosing the thing down with liquid wrench and then standing on the socket wrench, but instead decided to set down my beer and see if any else has run into this.
Thanks!

Thank you, both. I am just using a ratchet wrench. I'll need to get a long pipe or breaker bar... or just have the dealer do it next time I'm there. Hopefully they will be cool about adjusting the tension to outside of Yamaha's listed spec.

• Premium Member
Thank you, both. I am just using a ratchet wrench. I'll need to get a long pipe or breaker bar... or just have the dealer do it next time I'm there. Hopefully they will be cool about adjusting the tension to outside of Yamaha's listed spec.

The last couple of times I've had my bike in requiring a chain adjustment (new tire, new chain), my dealer has been excellent about adjusting the chain to my spec. When I spoke with the mechanic who did the work, he agreed that the Yamaha spec was too tight.

Best to use a breaker bar with a socket. Give it a kick with your foot and the rest is easy. If you go on long trips near the end of the chain's life, you may need to carry this bar and socket too. Choice a good one and it will last you your life span. You will need a large socket for the thriple tree and the front sprocket too. Might as well get them while you are at it. Maybe someone with a service manual can tell us the sizes????

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Thanks everyone! As cool as I think impact wrenches are, I don't think I'll spring for one...
I'm taking the bike in for the chain tensioner recall soon, so I'll either have the dealer adjust it or I'll do depending on how brave I feel.

Might as well get them while you are at it. Maybe someone with a service manual can tell us the sizes????
front axle 14mm hex allen, 45ft/lb
rear axle, 27mm, 65-70 is PLENTY
manual says 108 which is certifiably nuts! I suspect Yamaha forgot to convert N/m to Lb/ft which would result in 80 which is still high but at least within the rational.

fork cap 24mm
axle and triple clamp pinch, 6mm hex allen, 17-19ft/lb

brake caliper, 14mm, 25/lb
I think 20 is plenty since steel bolt into AL it's easy to strip things.

Mine was beyond tight when I did my first chain adjustment. I figure it was even tighter than the recommended spec the way it felt. I torque mine to 70#. Did the same on my FZ1 for 60,000 miles and it worked perfect.

Might as well get them while you are at it. Maybe someone with a service manual can tell us the sizes????
front axle 14mm hex allen, 45ft/lb rear axle, 27mm, 65-70 is PLENTY
manual says 108 which is certifiably nuts! I suspect Yamaha forgot to convert N/m to Lb/ft which would result in 80 which is still high but at least within the rational.

fork cap 24mm
axle and triple clamp pinch, 6mm hex allen, 17-19ft/lb

brake caliper, 14mm, 25/lb
I think 20 is plenty since steel bolt into AL it's easy to strip things.

Nice.  You got a scoket mm for the front sprocket?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Just checked the Canadian manual, it's not a conversion error, they really specify 108:

RearAxelTq.PNG

Archived