Highest Mile FJ09?

Just curious if anyone has a very high odometer reading on their FJ and if they've had any problems mechanically. I'm at 13k now, since I got the bike in May, and just curious if I want to start thinking about that extended warranty. I anticipate I'll rack up another 7k or so before the season comes to an end...then I'll be riding it out to California and back next summer. 

Just curious if anyone has a very high odometer reading on their FJ and if they've had any problems mechanically. I'm at 13k now, since I got the bike in May, and just curious if I want to start thinking about that extended warranty. I anticipate I'll rack up another 7k or so before the season comes to an end...then I'll be riding it out to California and back next summer. 
I haven't seen any higher than mine, but I may have missed someone's post.  I have 38K, and only that amount due to work, health and deer running into me.  Most all the problems others seem to have, I don't.  I just ride and ignore sounds that don't seem to keep me from going forward.  I did the 26K valve adjust and took it to the dealer to listen to the engine around 35K to see if the CCT was out of wack, but nothing, even sounded quieter on that day.  I also stay away form mods to increase hp, or exhaust cans the alter the million dollar set up that Yamaha designed, as I have found most bikes last longer and run better if they are stock.  (I did have to re flash the FZ 09 to make it ride-able.)  Most of that comment is based on the longivity of the FJR which commonly goes over 200K and even more without engine work.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

How were the valves at 26k? Any adjustment required? 

Here are the notes done by the mechanic:  (you should always ask for these, for your records) 
What  you are looking at:  Top row of valves are the intakes and these were all in spec, so no adjustments were made.  Above the bottom row of valves shows the shims that were installed at factory and the next row up were what were put in on first attempt, then the cam removed again and the top row of shims were installed.  The shim circled is the final shim used, meaning that the cam had to be removed a number of times to get them right.  He said the working space is limited and hard to determine/measure the gap.

4799598.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Guest highplainsrider
I couldn't agree more. Easier said than done at times, but you're right.                                                                                                                                                                                                       

I haven't seen any higher than mine, but I may have missed someone's post.  I have 38K, and only that amount due to work, health and deer running into me.  Most all the problems others seem to have, I don't.  I just ride and ignore sounds that don't seem to keep me from going forward.  I did the 26K valve adjust and took it to the dealer to listen to the engine around 35K to see if the CCT was out of wack, but nothing, even sounded quieter on that day.  I also stay away form mods to increase hp, or exhaust cans the alter the million dollar set up that Yamaha designed, as I have found most bikes last longer and run better if they are stock.  (I did have to re flash the FZ 09 to make it ride-able.)  Most of that comment is based on the longivity of the FJR which commonly goes over 200K and even more without engine work.
Thanks for the response! 38k isn't bad mileage without any engine problems. I certainly hope this engine will run over 200k miles. I use my FJ for everything! I'll be taking it out to California and back next summer with well over 25k miles on it and that's going to be an 8k mile trip minimum. 

Archived