Avon Trailrider AV tyres

So having worn the original dunlops down a fair bit (5500 miles now) and had the joy of two punctures, and whilst I didn't have any issue with lean angle or grip (and it was pretty wet the first half of this year, here in the UK, and been continually dry for the last few months so a range of conditions) I found the Tracer's ride was harsh - though I put that down to the suspension (only changing the tyres revealed how bad the Dunlops are), so I thought I'd try a more trail style tyre.

I rated Metzler Tourance tyres on my GS, but these are being superseded by new tyre technology, and aren't available in tracer sizes anyway.  So thought I would try these new (in 2015) Trailrider tyres...they've had some good write ups.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/trailrider

correct%20size.jpg?1431512919 

These are pretty chunky looking, but have a 90% road bias.  They are expensive tyres, but look the biz.  The rear is dual compound, and you can see the transition by what looks like a different colouration, but is just the way road dust sticks to the two different compounds.

The first thing that struck me when I go the loose tyres, was that the tyre actually felt sticky (I've been riding a lot of years, probably covering over 100000 miles on bikes, maybe a lot more...and consequently have had to buy and change lots of tyres over the years) and these felt markedly different - like a warm sports tyre feels.

As I said , they are dual compound and the tyre certainly feels different in the centre (not as sticky) to the rest of the tyre.

Fitting.
Yeah. I cheated this time, and paid someone to do it.  What was noticable is a lack of any dot to mark a line up with the valve. The front tyre though required no balance weights. The rear, was so far out that the garage, deflated the tyre again to rotate it 180 degrees on the rim so it could be balanced, but having done that, it wasn't an issue at all, just a PITA....Come on Avon, why not add a dot or two so we know how to fit without faffing around!

The fitter hadn't seen these tyres before (they are primarily a sports bike shop), and his passing comment was how sticky they felt (unprompted by me, and so I felt vindicated and that my observation had nothing to do with an excess of sugar on my fingers from eating too many jam donuts).  

First Impressions

The profile makes the bike tip in quicker than on the Dunlops, and it is this same high profile that will allow a felt squirm over painted lines (that's just laws of physics) and I actually like that feedback and the tippy in agility - so they (despite the looks) feel sportier to ride on than the Dunlop sports tyres.  That is ironic.

Second thing that really hit home is how improved the ride quality is.  The hard small vibes have gone, and the ride a lot lot smoooother. Good.

Now, of course, you're supposed to scrub tyres in.  But within 100 miles I had been grounding my footpegs on both sides without even trying.  THESE ARE SERIOUSLY GRIPPY! and confidence inspiring. I am extremely impressed (its not often a grumpy old sod like me says that). 

I think Avon will be on to a winner with these, provided they last well too and remain puncture resistant (If they do me 5500, I'll buy again...but I suspect that they may well do more based on other reports I've read).

8-)

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
They remind me of Distanzias, an older Avon tire. I had 17s on my supermoto for a while. There were two versions and, IIRC, the 17s were available in a soft Supermoto version only. That's what I had.

Great on the street. Did some trail riding. They can't shed mud, but did fine in dirt or sand for my skills. Best tire I ever rode for gravel.

Terrible mileage. Lasted maybe 2500 miles. Maybe the dual compound will help with the mileage.

Yes, you seldom get ought for nought - but these have got 7mm deep tread for starters, and a big open pattern - but they don't claim them to be for anything other than road and cinder tracks* (which is perfect for the Tracer TBH, no bash plate and underslung exhaust would stop me taking it anywhere too rugged)

I'll let you know on mileage.

*the Essex version of cinder tracks is crappy top dressing of roads!  ???
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• 3 weeks later...
Well its turning more autumnal here, and the roads were cold and wet for a three hundred mile trip yesterday, a lot on back twisty country roads. Heavy rain at times, wet leaves and outwash grit and gravel. Mud (its harvest time and the tractors have been leaving their tyre tracks on the roads.

I'm very impressed with these tyres. Not a slip and I wasn't hanging around!

Glad to hear. I've been eyeing new tires and really liked these but haven't heard anyone with them on their fj-09. I've done several dirt roads and the stock tires aren't very confidence inspiring. These looked good for the rarely found dirt roads but wanted something good on the street as that's where most of my riding is. Plus, I like the looks of them.

I rode these from Oregon to Edmonton and back again. Went through mud, pouring rain and gravel roads with ease. These tires are expensive and the rear looks like about 5-7k life expectancy which should be factored in. I expect to get one front / 2 rears so its not a whole set every time.

And they stick asphalt very good. Only got the rear to slide a little while visiting our Canadian friends :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 10 months later...
How about high speed with these tires? I do about 10 to 20 % mild off road... OEMs are indeed not good for this, On road, I usually go up to 160, 170 Kms/hr; are these Avon ok for these high speeds?
I did a track "day" ...okay 3, 20 minute sessions at Cadwell park. My hero blobs are "severely reduced"

Archived