My Madstad Install, December 2016

PFJohns

My 22” Madstad bracket/screen arrived last week within five days of the order, and I opened it, inspected the contents and read the entire manual before beginning installation.

Everything went fine, until I tried to actually install the brackets on my FJ-09. After trying every combination and arrangement, I suspected that the brackets had been assembled incorrectly. What made me think this was a post on the FJ-09 list serv that said wrongly-assembled brackets had held up another lister (see <http://fj-09.org/thread/2137/madstad-windscreen-experience>).

Sure enough, that was the problem. Both brackets had to be taken apart and reassembled before they would fit the windscreen properly. I informed Madstad, and whoever is assembling their brackets should be informed/retrained. If you order one, call or write requesting an assembly check before shipment.

The rest of the installation went smoothly. The directions were pretty good and actually showed the proper bracket assembly in one of the pictures. My only other observation is that in the parts photo, specific identification of the different screws and pins would have speeded the installation. I had already removed the outer hand guard piece for aesthetic reasons shortly after purchasing the FJ late last summer.

I rode all week, as cold as 19F, and I'm REALLY enjoying the new screen, which gives me a big, quiet, still pocket in the cold weather months of year-round Mid-Atlantic commuting.Like I said earlier, it’s my second Madstad, and the first one--just the bracket--on my 07 Wee-strom with a Givi screen worked perfectly for several years.

Madstad22.jpgMadstad22_1.jpgMadstad22_2.jpg

• Premium Member
pfjohns - you aren't the first one to have issues with the packaging from Madstad, although mine came in fine. I do like the screen much better than the stock, and it feels much more stable too

• Premium Member
The windshield looks a lot more attractive than the ones they were selling when the FJ first came out. I've had Madstads on two previous bikes and wanted to get one for the FJ, but they were just too ugly at the time I got mine. Might commit to one now.

BTW, how tall are you?  Do the handguards hit the shield at full lock?

• Premium Member
The windshield looks a lot more attractive than the ones they were selling when the FJ first came out. I've had Madstads on two previous bikes and wanted to get one for the FJ, but they were just too ugly at the time I got mine. Might commit to one now. 
I'm 5-9, and they do just barely touch the handguards at full lock. 

• Premium Member
Actually, my questions were meant for the OP, but appreciate your input as well.  What size shield did you get?

• Premium Member
Actually, my questions were meant for the OP, but appreciate your input as well.  What size shield did you get?
Sorry, I got the 20" clear screen

• Premium Member
And you can take the hand guards touching out of the equation by putting the KTM hand guards on....and get better protection as a bonus. 

• Premium Member
I left the original hand guards on, they do barely touch when the handle bar is turned all the way, but it doesn't do anything except slightly flex the shield (< 1/4 inch) and I have never had that happen except when testing to see if they would hit.

Really, a none issue from my perspective.

• Premium Member
And you can take the hand guards touching out of the equation by putting the KTM hand guards on....and get better protection as a bonus.
True, but I like the stockers, especially since I have the handguard lights installed.

• Premium Member
When you finally have the screen just where you like it, Consider trying what I did to firm it up. I removed the knob tightener and replaced it with a bolt and lock washer. THEN, I drilled a second hole above it through both metal peices and there I installed a second nut, bolt and lock washer. So on each side where the large tightening knob was I have two bolt, nuts and lock washers. Not only do I never have to constantly re-tighten that plastic knob that always loosens, ( the bigger the shield the more often it loosens), the shield is now an integrated solid part of the bike. Grab you shield at the top and rock it back and forth. You'll see it sliding between the two barces no matter how tight the knobs are. Locking the braces down with four nuts and bolts stops all that free play.

OP here:

I'm 5'10", with short legs and long torso and arms. I festered about which screen height for some time, but saw that Madstad offers time-limited replacements. That took the worry away. But I'll keep this 22" screen.

I'm still testing, and so far I've raised it an inch above the bottom setting. I'll use that for a week and then try a higher setting, but judging from the nice big still air pocket, I think I may have hit the ideal height right out of the box. I want to go as low as is comfortable, since there are a few windy spots on my daily DC commute.

Another poster was interested in the angle of the screen. Honestly, I just eyeballed it, based on my prior experience with the Madstad/Givi combination on my '07 Wee Strom. With that bike, I used to give it a steeper angle and lower height in the warmer months and set it pretty much vertical and a bit higher in the winter, for better/more still air in the colder weather. It takes less than a minute to raise/lower and adjust the angle, so fiddling is the way to go.

In all, cases, I want to look over the screen rather than through it.

Let me know any more questions,

PFJohns

OP here again:

I had already removed the silver decorative part of the knuckle guards for aesthetic reasons some time ago, so I didn't need to follow the Madstad directions to remove them before installation. At full lock, the reduced knuckle guards miss the 22" screen by ca. 1.5 inches.

PFJohns

• Premium Member
Well, I got mine today. Didn't waste any time getting it installed. Top notch quality, as I have come to expect from Madstad, but...

the handguards do contact the shield more than I would like, so a little modification is in order.

I'm going to get some longer bolts and 1" standoffs and remount the stiffening plate. That should space the shield far enough away from the handguards.

• Premium Member
My solution.  Not very elegant, but it keeps the handguards from hitting the windshield.

I found some 1" nylon standoffs at Lowe's.  They were white, so I wrapped them in electrical tape to make them less visible.  Longer screws hold everything together.  Haven't ridden with this setup yet.  I'll try to get some seat time this weekend and report back.

Madstad%202.JPG

Madstad%201.JPG