Windsheilds (Madstad, Cee Baileys, etc.) - what to do?

I bought a V-Stream windshield over a year ago. It is slightly better than the stock screen but it is still very, very noisy. I bought the middle height touring shield and I'm 6ft. If I crouch down a few inches then it is quiet as can be. Looks like I'm back to looking for a windshield. I've heard good things about Madstad, in fact, the manufacturer is only an hour from me so I may stop by. From pics that I've seen, they don't look great but at this point I'm about functionality. I've also heard good things about Cee Baileys windshields and Cal Sci.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I shall cheat and copy n paste from my blog... Here's my solution, and I'm pleased with it.  Im, 5'8" BTW

Screen, Screen, Screeeen when I want yooou....

DATE: 19th December 2016

MILEAGE: 6295

There once was a thread on screens started by Griff1971 which I read with interest ...see here: Linky Linky

I like the angular look of the Tracer - of course I appreciate that looks become very subjective, but I like it anyway. The screen however...well...its okay, but there is a fair bit of turbulence around it, and as I wear a peaked helmet (Arai Tour X-4) it doesn't make it too great particularly if there is a strong side wind too.

Anyway, during this thread John Barlow mentioned the MRA screen, which after some magic electronic button pushing that just seems to pay for stuff for me, without me doing very much (there has to be a catch?) ...it was kindly passed on to me to try.

The MRA touring screen is a good looker. The Tracer is a good looker. The two don't match though. Angles Vs Curves. It just looked misplaced.

mt09-tracer-mra-screen-close.jpg

But I fitted it anyway, and what it did do is work brilliantly, a lot of turbulence and buffeting has gone (tried it up to 70 on the A12 too, just to see what it was like at cruzin speeds. Excellent.

Still looked out of place though (its subjective, just my opinion).

So today, I've modified it, taking a crescent out of the top, so when viewed face on the top of the screen is flat, this meant about 2" down on the centreline, and back to the top existing screen edge at the sides. (It's a similar shape to the top edge of the stock screen)

In my view it looks a lot better and I've tried it up to 96 LSP* (that, of course, is an exactly legal 60mph ;) ) on a back road, and it was still really good - most noticeable when I look right or left (asI mentioned I have a Arai X4 helmet with a peak) with still no buffeting.

No hand guards it looks like this:

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

So the screen stays.

Here it is with the hand guards in place:

IMAG01861.jpg

IMAG01871.jpg

IMAG01841.jpg

:)

*LSP is 'Lympic Swimming Pools, and what the media seem to measure everything in, (except double-decker buses) so I have added LSPs to my post to give an idea of my speed on a public forum, and it's equivalent mph figure too. nudge nudge, wink, wink, say no more, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, nod's as good as a wink to blind bat. ;)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Being so close to Madstad, I'd absolutely give them a call and swing by. I'm about an inch shorter than you w/ the 22" Madstad and love it. I'd guess it cut the wind noise by 90%, it's very dramatic. With the stock screen at any height, speeds over 40 mph were uncomfortable without earplugs. Now I can ride 75 mph in a calm, quiet bubble (though I still wear ear plugs most every ride).

They have very good support. I bet if you made an appointment they'd be happy to help you fit a screen and go for a spin. Only takes about 15 minutes to install with basic hand tools. Being so close it'd be easy to swap around screen sizes and find exactly the one you like without a shipping penalty.

trey

• Premium Member
I bought a V-Stream windshield over a year ago. It is slightly better than the stock screen but it is still very, very noisy. I bought the middle height touring shield and I'm 6ft. If I crouch down a few inches then it is quiet as can be. Looks like I'm back to looking for a windshield. I've heard good things about Madstad, in fact, the manufacturer is only an hour from me so I may stop by. From pics that I've seen, they don't look great but at this point I'm about functionality. I've also heard good things about Cee Baileys windshields and Cal Sci.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Perhaps I am afflicted with poor taste, but I really like the look of the Madstad....and it works great! I'm 6' 4" with a 32" inseam and the 22" Madstad works a treat for me.  Here's my FJ with SW Motech bags that I really like, and the Ventura Mistral 1 Bike Pack. I figure if you can't get it done with 91 liters, you might as well get an RV. 
P1000933.jpg

Thanks for posting! Is that the dark or light grey tint? Turns out, Madstad is an hour north of me. I am riding up there tomorrow and they will install a shield to let me try it out. I'm paying cash if I like it for a 20% discount...not bad. I told the guy on the phone that their website is pretty rough and made me reluctant to purchase from them. They are in the process of revamping the site.

That seat looks pretty comfy. What type is it?

• Premium Member
Thanks for posting! Is that the dark or light grey tint? Turns out, Madstad is an hour north of me. I am riding up there tomorrow and they will install a shield to let me try it out. I'm paying cash if I like it for a 20% discount...not bad. I told the guy on the phone that their website is pretty rough and made me reluctant to purchase from them. They are in the process of revamping the site. 
That seat looks pretty comfy. What type is it?
That's a Corbin saddle, and you are correct, it is very comfy. Takes a while to break it in, but is worth the effort. If you are on the lighter side (150-200 lbs.) you can get softer foam for it. Otherwise, Corbins have a reputation for being rather firm...not uncomfortably so, but a lot firmer than the stocker. The Madstad is a dark gray tint and I really like it. 

Thank you. I have never hear of either of these products. I will check them out!
MRA is German (I think) so not sure if they export to the US of A?  It's good quality product but I wasn't overly keen on the look until I cut it down...frankly, if I were starting again I'd buy something else to save the fag of reshaping.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I visited Madstad today and cannot tell you how impressed I was with the staff, facility and all of the amazing parts and accessories that they fabricate in house. From steel to aluminum to acrylic…these guys can create anything! They fitted my FJ-09 with a 22” windshield, installed it and had me go on a test ride to see how it functioned. I was gone for nearly 30 minutes enjoying the new shield and making few stops to tweak the adjustments on the mounting brackets. When I got back to the shop, I explained the scenarios and they suggested going to a 24” shield. So, get this, while I waited (approx. 1 hour), they custom fabricated a new windshield and added 1.75” to each side for maximum coverage. The ride back home is just over an hour and I enjoyed every bit of it…no more wind noise or buffeting!

Again, I cannot say enough positive things about this company. The people were great and they made sure that I was completely satisfied before I left. They also offer a 60 day guarantee on their products. I only wish there were more companies like this…they are amazing and talented people!
(I will post a few pics tomorrow)

P1040580.jpg

P1040581.jpg
P1040579.jpg

• Premium Member
I visited Madstad today and cannot tell you how impressed I was with the staff, facility and all of the amazing parts and accessories that they fabricate in house. From steel to aluminum to acrylic…these guys can create anything! They fitted my FJ-09 with a 22” windshield, installed it and had me go on a test ride to see how it functioned. I was gone for nearly 30 minutes enjoying the new shield and making few stops to tweak the adjustments on the mounting brackets. When I got back to the shop, I explained the scenarios and they suggested going to a 24” shield. So, get this, while I waited (approx. 1 hour), they custom fabricated a new windshield and added 1.75” to each side for maximum coverage. The ride back home is just over an hour and I enjoyed every bit of it…no more wind noise or buffeting! 
Again, I cannot say enough positive things about this company. The people were great and they made sure that I was completely satisfied before I left. They also offer a 60 day guarantee on their products. I only wish there were more companies like this…they are amazing and talented people!
(I will post a few pics tomorrow)

P1040580.jpg

P1040581.jpg

P1040579.jpg

.....told ya so.... 

Archived